The Orthodontics Series
The Orthodontics Series is structured as three coordinated courses
An increasing number of dentists are incorporating orthodontics into their practices. This is a series of three coordinated courses designed with those dentists in mind. They are spread over a period of time to allow meaningful, clinical hands-on experience to be gained. This format of the Continuing Education Orthodontics Series is unique and is not offered anywhere else in Australia.
- "These are the only hospital-based courses in Australia run by university academic staff where participants are actively involved with patient treatment" Professor Ali M Darendeliler
Course participants are assigned patients to manage under the supervision of University appointed tutors. Participants maintain full orthodontic records and prepare their treatment plans in a group seminar situation.
At the clinical sessions participants will have the opportunity to place fixed appliances and manage cases, through to the removal of fixed appliances and the fitting of retainers. Participants will also see orthodontic patients on review and in retention from previous course participants.
2017 program dates are now available.
If have any questions about our Orthodontics program please contact Continuing Education in Dentistry on 02 9351 8348 or send an email to Orthodontics 2017 Enquiry
Orthodontics 1 - pre-requisite for Orthodontics 2 or standalone refresher
Tuesday 17 to Friday 20 January 2017
For orthodontic treatment to be successful at any level, it is essential to have a basic understanding of normal growth and development of the dento-facial complex and to possess the skills to recognise developing malocclusion. More information
Orthodontics 2 - a unique course combining theory and practice
March 2017 - February 2018
This course is both clinical and theoretical with chair-side sessions, lectures and seminars. The Orthodontics course is unique as it is the only hospital-based course where registrants treat NSW Health patients that is run by university staff. Each of the monthly sessions consists of morning lectures and with clinic sessions with patient treatment in the afternoon.
Participants must have completed Orthodontics I to be admitted to the course and there will only be a limited number of places available. It is important that you note the mandatory requirements including vaccination/serology conditions. More information.
Orthodontics 3 - further enhance your knowledge
March 2017 - February 2018
This course is both clinical and theoretical with chair-side sessions, lectures and seminars. This course is designed to allow those who have completed Orthodontics II to further pursue and apply the presented treatment philosophies. More information.
The course is delivered by some of the most experienced orthodontic specialists in Australia and include:
- M. Ali Darendeliler, BDS, PhD, Cert Ortho, Dip Ortho, Priv Doc (TR), Priv Doc (Ge), MRACDS, . Professor Darendelilier is the Chair of Orthodontics for the University of Sydney - Course Facilitator for the Orthodontics Series
- Alexandra Papadopoulou, DDS, MSc Oral Surgery-Implantology, DSp. Orthodontics, PhD - Course Facilitator for Orthodontics I, 2 and 3
- Eugene Chan BDS, MDSc, M Orth RCS Ed, MRACDS (Orth), PhD
- Oyku Dalci DDS, PhD
- Ray Te Moananui, BDS, MDS (Otago) MOrthRCS(Edin) MRACDS(Orth) Registered Specialist Orthodontist
- Morris Rapaport BDS, MDSc Orthodontist
- Peter Synnott BDSc (Otago) MDSc (Sydney)