The Oral Health Foundation
The Oral Health Foundation was established in 2000, with the following aims:
- To support education and research activities at the Faculty of Dentistry.
- To unite Faculty alumni and the general community in the support of the Faculty.
- To promote the advancement of the oral health of the community.
Prior to 2000, there were two Foundations associated with the Faculty of Dentistry, the Faculty of Dentistry Foundation and the Dental Health Education and Research Foundation. These were amalgamated into one foundation with the broad purpose of promoting stronger ties between the Faculty, profession, and the community at large.
The Foundation is part of the University of Sydney and is accountable to the University Senate. It operates under a constitution approved by the University Senate and has a governing Council consisting of dental professionals and representatives from the ADA Inc, ADA (NSW Branch), Recent Graduates Committee of the ADA, the Dental Board of NSW, the Dental Industry Association, the Dental Alumni Society and the Sydney University Dental Undergraduates Association, as well as Ex-Officio senior University representatives.
The Foundation is a self-funding organisation and as such, is totally reliant on professional and corporate support for its activities. Donations to the Foundation are tax deductible.
Support for the Faculty
In recent years Universities across Australia have suffered a depletion of funding for all manner of socio-political reasons. The rationale is at least partly aimed at increasing support for tertiary education from the corporate and alumnus communities. The Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Sydney has seen many changes to its teaching and research facilities over the years, most of them beneficial, but the need for further finance is always pressing.
With more funds at its disposal the Faculty could:
- Offer better teaching facilities to all students including those seeking a higher degree or continuing education.
- Direct its considerable expertise to further research projects and so maintain its place in the highly competitive research world.
- Benefit by the addition of improved teaching techniques and support staff as well as the opportunity to accept higher degree students for research projects.
It is a stated aim of the Oral Health Foundation that the faculty and the profession should be brought together in a mutual understanding of, and empathy for, the common goal of making Dentistry better in NSW. There is already a high degree of commonality, with many faculty staff in dental practice and practitioners assisting faculty as honorary staff. The foundation's role is to develop the bonds further, both sectors working together for mutual advantage.
The Faculty would value your support. You can assist the Foundation to support your Faculty and the University of Sydney by:
- Attending the various Foundation activities which will be planned from time to time to allow opportunities for the profession and the faculty to meet in a social atmosphere.
- Making a financial commitment to the Foundation with an annual tax deductible donation
The Oral Health Foundation
Faculty of Dentistry
Sydney Dental Hospital
2 Chalmers Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Phone: (02) 9351 8342
Fax : (02) 9351 8333