Associate Professor Hedley Coleman
C12 - United Dental Hospital
The University of Sydney
Graduated with distinction from the University of the Witwatersrand in 1985 as a dentist. He then completed a Masters Degree in the Branch of Oral Pathology in 1992. In 2003 he obtained a Fellowship from the South African College of Pathologists and in 2007 successfully obtained the Fellowship in the Faculty of Oral Pathology of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia. In 2011 he was the recipient of a Fellowship from the International College of Dentists. He currently holds a conjoint appointment as Associate Professor with the ICPMR, Westmead Hospital and the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney and is in part-time private practice at Austpath Laboratories.
Teaching and supervision
Anatomical pathology, ENT, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Regsitrars – head and neck pathology
Oral Pathology lectures, seminars and laboratories for BDent 3 and 4 students
Oral Pathology seminars post-graduate students in OMFS, OMOP, Periodontics and Prosthodontics
Dr J. Vu Transoral Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Laser Microsurgical Resection of Potentially Malignant Oral Lesions
Dr S. Sukumar The diagnosis of Sjogrens syndrome, a clinico-pathologic study (including CXCR5 T-Helper cells in Sjogrens Syndrome) Research report, University of Sydney, 2012: 1-150.
Multicentre study on HPV in tonsillar cancer
Merkel Cell Carcinoma TTROG trial
Steyn N, Heggie A, MacGregor D et al. Clinicopathologic Conference. Small cell osteosarcoma. OOOOE 2013 In Press
Shepard M, Coleman H. Simultaneous adenomatoid odontogenic and keratocystic odontogenic tumours in a patient with Gorlin Goltz syndrome. Austral Dent J, In Press
Coleman H, Chandraratnam E, Morgan G, Gomes L, Bonar F. Synovial chondrosarcoma arising in synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint.Head and Neck Pathol. In Press
Greenstein A, Coleman H. Hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis to the maxilla: a rare case. Austral Dent J, In Press
Nagaraja V, Coleman H, Morgan G. Desmoplastic fibroblastoma presenting as a parotid tumour: A case report and review of the literature. Head and Neck Pathol. In Press
Member of the ANZ Head and Neck Society
Committee member Faculty of Oral Pathology, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
Fellow of the South African College of Pathologists
Awards and honours
Recipient of a Fellowship from the International College of Dentists.
Excellence in Teaching award Faculty of Dentistry, 2007, 2010, 2011
Oral and maxillofacial pathology
- The role of cytokines in mediating cellular fudion between malignant and stromal cells; David M, Coleman H, Zoellner H; Australian Dental Research Foundation/Research Support.
- Cytokines and tumour cell interactions; David M, Kelly L, Zoellner H, Coleman H, Kelly L; Dental Board of NSW/Research Support.
- An Intervention Study for the Prevention of Bisphosphonate Induced Osteonecrosis of the Jaws following Dental Surgery/Extractions; Zoellner H, Schifter M, Coleman H; Australian Dental Research Foundation/Research Support.
- The occurance and effect of cytoplasmic transfer between neoplastic and stromal cells; Zoellner H, Coleman H; Australian Dental Research Foundation/Research Support.
- Mechanisms for contact dependent cell death in tumours; Coleman H; Dental Board of NSW/Research Grants.
- Real-time analysis of tumour-stromal cell interaction; Coleman H; Dental Board of NSW/Research Grants.