Dr Louisa Peralta
BEdHons(UOW), MEdL (UC), GradCert(Higher Ed)(Sydney), PhD(UOW)
Senior Lecturer in Health and Physical Education
Human Movement and Health Education Program Director (Students)
First Year Experience and Social Inclusion Academic Coordinator
Faculty Ethics Reviewer
A35 - Education Building
The University of Sydney
Louisa Peralta is a Senior Lecturer of Health and Physical Education in the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Sydney. She teaches in the areas of primary and secondary health and physical education and professional practice studies at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Her teaching, research and publications focus on: a) school-based programs for improving students' physical activity levels and motivation; b) improving adolescent health literacy through whole school approaches; and c) designing and delivering professional learning experiences for preservice and inservice Health and Physical Education teachers.
Health and sport
- Health promotion
Research on teaching and learning
- Health and physical education and development
- Tertiary education and development
Social structures, inequalities and social justice
- Indigenous issues
Keywords: pedagogies in physical education, physical activity, health promotion, health literacy, school-based programs, teacher learning and development.
Teaching and supervision
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|Factors affecting the body image and weight status of Australian schoolchildren in a 6-year longitudinal study (Associate Supervisor).||PhD||Hueiwen Chiang|
|Poststructuralism and the 'obesity epidemic': Fat loss camps (Associate Supervisor).||PhD||Brittany Johnson|
|Poststructuralism and the Health and Physical Education curriculum (Primary Supervisor)||PhD||Becki Simadas|
2014-2015: Peralta LR, Rowling, L. Adolescent health literacy and the whole school approach. University of Sydney's International Program Development Fund and the World Universities Network ($12,950).
2014: Dudley D, Cotton W, Peralta LR.Teaching healthy eating to primary school students: A review of evidence and best practice.An Evidence Check review brokered by the Sax Institute for the NSW Department of Education and Communities ($25,000).
2012-2015: Lonsdale C, Lubans DR, Kolt G,Peralta LR,Maeder AJ, Gore JM, Cerin E, Ntoumanis N. A cluster randomized controlled trial of a school-based physical activity intervention in at-risk communities.Australian Research Council (ARC) funded discovery project ($484,000).
2012-2013:Peralta LR, Bennie A, Cotton W, O’Connor D. Improving physical activity levels and life skills among Indigenous adolescents: A randomized controlled trial (RCT). National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy ($13,777)
2012: Lonsdale C, Rosenkranz R, Lubans D, Peralta LR, Bennie A.The Active Learning project: Increasing active learning time in Physical Education by applying Self-Determination Theory. UWS School of Health Science Grant ($24,949).
2011-2012:Peralta LR, O'Connor D, Cotton W, Bennie A, & Burns K. Increasing Indigenous students in higher education: Is participation in sport associated with academic achievement and higher education aspirations among Indigenous students? The University of Sydney Widening Participation Grant ($20,900)
2011-2012:Peralta LR, Bennie A, Cotton W, O’Connor D, Evans J. Partnerships with local Indigenous community agencies: Do service learning opportunities enhance sociocultural understanding and competence of Human Movement Health Education (HMHE) preservice teachers? The University of Sydney Strategic Teaching Enhancement Program Grants (STEPs) ($25,867)
2011-2012:Peralta LR, Cotton W, Evans J, O'Connor D, & Bennie A. (2011). The acceptability and potential efficacy of a community and school sport-based program designed to enhance Indigenous adolescents’ physical activity levels and life skills. The University of Sydney, Centre of Obesity, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease (CODCD) ($5,000)
2014-2015: World Universities Network researcher.
2013-2015: Member of the Board of Studies NSW HSC PDHPE examination committee.
2013: NSW Board/Executive member (Vice President), Australian Council of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (ACHPER).
2011-2012: NSW Board/Executive member (Tertiary and Primary Educators’ Representative), Australian Council of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (ACHPER).
Awards and honours
- 2011: University of Sydney Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Award.
- 2010: University of Wollongong Faculty of Education Highly Commended for PhD Research and Thesis.
- 2006-2009: Australian Postgraduate Award.
- 2005-2006: University of Wollongong Faculty of Education Summer Research Scholarship.
- 2001: University of Wollongong, Alumni Association Prize Giving for Honours Research in Education – Highly Commended.
- 2001: Australian Rugby Union and Touch Association Scholarship for Research
- 2001: University of Wollongong Cunningham-D’Souza Family Award for Excellence in Research
- Adolescent health literacy for specific target groups and issues; Peralta L, Rowling L, Samdal O, Roderick P, Grace M, Larsen T; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Teaching healthy eating to primary school students - A review of evidence and best practice; Dudley D, Cotton W, Peralta L; Sax Institute/Research Support.
- An Evaluation of a Community and School Sport-Based Program on Indigenous Students Physical Activity Levels and Life Skills: A Pilot RCT; Peralta L; National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy/Research Support.
Selected publications & creative works