Associate Professor Ruth Phillips
PhD(UNSW), BA(UWA), BA(Hons)CommStudies(Murdoch)
Senior Lecturer in Social Work and Policy Studies
Associate Director, Division of Doctoral Studies
BSW Honours Coordinator
A35 - Education Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 93516899|
|Fax||+61 2 93513783|
Before commencing her PhD at the University of New South Wales, Ruth was the principal policy officer in the Western Australia Department for Community Services (now Department for Community Development).
Prior to that she had worked in a range of policy positions in the WA state government. Since 2002, Ruth has been teaching full time at the University of Sydney in the undergraduate and postgraduate social work and social policy courses. She has also graduated and currently supervises a range of PhD students, in areas as diverse as:
- Postcolonial feminist approaches to the role of informal education for 'subaltern' women
- HIV AIDS and social work curricula in Taiwan
- NGO Networking & the Campaign against Child sex trafficking
- the meaning of poverty in Korea
- Nation branding and Social Policy in Korea
- Sub-Saharan refugee experiences of settlement policy.
- Social change
- Social policy
- Third sector research
Current research students
|Project title||Degree||Research student|
|New wave of 'Comfort women': dominant discourse on Korean trafficked women and comfort women||MEd (Research)||Seojin AN|
|Anti-Trafficking NGO Advocacy: The Case of Thailand and Cambodia||PhD||Selinta CLARKE|
- 2005 Are Australian NGOs Democratic Organisations?
- 2005 Project Title: An Audit of Contemporary Applications of Feminist Approaches and Frameworks in Social Work Education in Australia
- 2006 Project Title: Conducting the Australian research which is to provide an overview and some insight on how Australian mining companies and related institutions/organisations as well as NGOs have been involved in: the 'formation' process leading to the global Mining, Minerals and Sustainability Development (MMSD) process; and what happened after the MMSD process was finished. For the Social Science Research Centre (WBZ), Berlin, Germany
- 2007-08 Project Title: CDC PLUS - SOCIAL WELFARE: THEORIES AND CONCEPTS, Involved researching the needs of newly recruited Indigenous Caseworkers in the Department of Community Services, NSW and delivering a pilot workshop in April, 2008
- 2009 Researching for Change: Profiling Social Policy Research in human services NGOs
- 2008 Research Fellowship - Japan - Study of Feminist and Domestic Violence Policy in Japan
- Research Project Title:Social Policy Research in Human Service NGOs in AustraliaThe aim of the first phase of this research project is to gain an understanding of the current capacity to produce and disseminate social science research within human service NGOs in Australia. This is the first stage of a bigger research project that is primarily driven by a question about the influence or impact of research conducted by human service NGOs on social policy at both the state and federal levels of government in Australia.
- Understanding Gender Equality and the Influence of Feminism in WomenÕs NGOs: A Global Study This is a study that is implementing a global survey of women's NGOs through out the world. It will be conducted over a 7 month period between September 2011 and March 2012. Research QuestionsAlthough the survey is comprised of 16 short questions there are two research questions it was designed to build knowledge around. These are: How is gender equality understood from the perspectives of womenÕs NGOs? What types of feminism are recognised as influencing the work of womenÕs NGOs in the global context?
2009- Editor, Third Sector Review- Australia’s only third sector journal – published by Australian, New Zealand Third Sector Research, biannual.
Editorial Board Member: Asian Social Work and Policy Review - International Journal, Blackwell Publications, Editorial Base, Seoul National University, Republic of Korea
Treasurer- Australian Association of Social Work and Welfare Educators
Member, Executive Committee - Australian and New Zealand Society for Third Sector Research
Awards and honours
1998-2001 Australian Postgraduate Award administered through the University of NSW
2008 AASWWE Writing Prize for Best paper published in the Journal Advances in Social Work Education in the period 2006-2007
2005 Faculty of Education and Social Work Teaching Excellence Award
- Conducting the Australian research which is to provide an overview and some insight on how Australia; Phillips R; Social Science Research Centre (WBZ), Berlin, Germany/Consultancy.
- An audit of contemporary applications of feminist approaches and frameworks for social work education; Phillips R; Australian Association for social work and welfare Education (AASWWE)/Research grant.
- Are Australian NGOs democratic organisations?; Phillips R; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Newly Appointed Staff (NAS).
- Social Policy Development Toward a Stronger Welfare State in South Korea and its Implications for So; Phillips R; Korea- Australasia Research Centre/Research Grant.
Selected publicationsAn error occurred when trying to display this profile. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. If this error persists, please report this to the ICT Helpdesk though the Self Service Portal or on 9351 6000.
Error Code: APO Webservice is down, API: getBookSellingLinks Arguments: array ( 'in0' => '1012703', ). Error Fetching http headers