Associate Professor Timothy Allender
BA(Hons)(Monash), DipEd(Monash), MA(Hons)(Sydney), PhD(Sydney)
Affiliate, History Department, Faculty of Arts
Associate Professor, History of Education, History Curriculum
History Curriculum Coordinator
A35 - Education Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 93516334|
|Fax||+61 2 93514580|
A/Prof Tim Allender's principal research over the past 20 years concerns Indian education. His latest monograph with Manchester University Press develops key gender, feminist and knowledge transfer themes concerning India. He has published earlier books, 16 international journal articles and 14 book chapters, illuminating other aspects of education in India. He is the editor of four special issues of international journals and he is on the editorial boards of four leading international journals. A/Professor Allender has held two successfully completed ARC grants. In recognition of his international standing as a scholar of education of India he delivered the keynote address to the world ISCHE conference in Turkey (June 2015). Tim has held visiting Professorships in Germany, Canada and at the IIAS in Shimla, India. He is completing two research projects including the writing two new monographs: one on educational epistemologies in India and the other on underprivileged girl education in Kolkata.
Educational history, sociology and philosophy
- History of education
Educational systems: administration, management and leadership
- International and comparative education
Research on teaching and learning
- Social sciences, including civics
- Teacher education and professional learning
Keywords: classroom disciplinarity, knowledge transfer, history, postcolonial, history curriculum, feminist history
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Disciplinarity, pedagogy and practice: a case study of classroom history teaching||Claire GOLLEDGE|
|Funding models and legal mechanisms to lift university participation in relation to the human right to higher education under public international law.||Sashika JAYEWARDENE|
|Australian secondary humanities teachers' beliefs towards mainstream refugee students||Angela ROSE|
|A case study of the rehabilitation of education in East Timor during the United Nations Transitional Administration||Trina SUPIT|
|The Contemporary Impact of Colonial Legacy On Education Systems: A Comparative Study On the Asia Pacific Region||Stella WANG|
- Currently working as a member of a International Special Working Group (SWG) for ISCHE (Belgium) on the history of the history textbook in schools and the politics of its language. (2008-2010)
- DP0663300 ARC Discovery (Large) Scheme (AUD $279, 000) Project: "Disciplinarity and classroom practice: Epistemological issues in the analysis and improvement of teaching and learning." (Lead-investigator: Professor Peter Freebody; Co-Investigators Dr Tim Allender, Dr N Bahr, Dr C Christensen, Dr A Wright).
- Reference Group: Teaching Teachers for the Future (USyd)
- Building leadership capacity in undergraduate Science teaching in India and Australia. (A/Prof. Manju Sharma (USyd); Dr Pratibha Jolly (Delhi University); Dr Alexandra Yeung (USyd)
- Global Education in the HSIE Classroom and its Asian Context, (MS Kate Keeley, Ms Kate Smyth)
- The socio-cultural predication of Under-privileged Urban Education: Australia and India (Professor Padma Sarangapani, Dr Arathi Sriprakash, Dr Ritesh Khunyakari)
- Diversity and Difference: History Students and Social Inclusion (Dr Michael McDonnell, Ms Hannah Forsyth)
- Special Issue: 'Knowledge Transfer and the History of Education' in 'History Education Review' (joint editor with A/Prof. Jenny Collins (Unitec, New Zealand)
- Editorial Board of Paedagogica Historica (Europe)
- Editorial Board of Journal for Educational Media, Memory and Society (Germany)
- Editorial Review Board of the Universal Journal of Educational Research (Europe)
- Editorial Board Asian Studies Review (Australia)
- The nominee of the NSW/ACT Committee of Chairs of Academic Boards and Senates consulting with the NSW Board of Studies on the Australian National Curriculum (History)
- Editorial Board Issues in Educational Research (Institute of Educational Research, Australia)
- Co-Editor Connecting Education. Global Information on History of Education (www.connectingeducation.org) [ISCHE book series]
- Research and Publications Committee, International Education Association of Australia (IEAA)
Awards and honours
- Thomas T. Roberts Fellowship, 1996(AUD $10,000)
- Visiting Fellow, University of Winchester, 2005
- Visiting Fellow, University of London, 2010
- Ewing Postdoctoral Fellowship 2003 (AUD $16,000)
- LEO347548 ARC LIEF Grant jointly with Profs. McGuire (UWA); Robin Jeffrey (ANU) 2004 (AUD $150,000)
- University of Sydney R&D Research Grant, 2006 (AUD $17,000)
- University of Sydney Research Conference Fund, 2008, (AUD $1,500)
- DP0663300 ARC Discovery (Large) Scheme Project: ?Disciplinarity and classroom practice: Epistemological issues in the analysis and improvement of teaching and learning.? (Lead-investigator: Professor Peter Freebody, Co-Investigators A/Professor Tim Allender, A/Professor N Bahr, Dr C Christensen, Dr A Wright) 2006-2009, (AUD $279, 000).
- University of Sydney Sesqui R&D grant, 2002 (AUD $9,000)
- Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Education, University of Sydney, 2000
- Exchanging Educational Knowledge: towards transformative models of initial teacher education, 2010. (Dr Arathi Sriprakash, A/Professor Tim Allender) Australia India Council Grant (AUD $5,000)
- Global Education and eLearning Resources (Ms Kate Keeley, A/Professor Tim Allender) AusAID/PTC NSW Global Education (AUD $40,000)
- (2009) Chair of an ITEC Undergraduate Program Panel, NSW Institute of Teachers
- (2010- ) History of Education Quarterly (US) editorial team of reviewers.
- (2011) Visiting Professor, University of Toronto, Canada
- (2010-2012) Nominee of the NSW/ACT Committee of Chairs of Academic Boards and Senates to consult with the NSW Board of Studies on the National Curriculum (K-10 History).
- (2010- ) Paedagogica Historica (Europe) editorial team of reviewers.
- (2009) Chair of an ITEC Undergraduate Program Panel, NSW Institute of Teachers
- (2010- ) Review Committee University of Sydney Foundation Program (USFP)
- (2011- ): 'Social Inclusion in the History Classroom' Divisional Strategic Teaching Enhancement Project Scheme (STEPS) (Dr Michael McDonnell, Ms Hannah Forsyth) ($35,000)
- (2011- ) International Projects Development Fund: 'Teaching and Learning: the Under-privileged of Australia and India' (Prof. Padma Sarangapani (Mumbai), Dr Arathi Sriprahash (UWA), Dr Ritesh Khunyakari (Mumbai), Ms Kate Keeley (USyd) ($7,000)
- History Fellowship (one year), Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Advanced Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, 2012-2013.
- Sharma, M., Allender, T., Jolly, P. and Cheung, A. 'Building leadership capacity in undergraduate science teaching in India, (R11-093) ALAF (AusAID) $57,413
- Co-Chair 'All India Law Teachers' National Congress Conference, Amity Law School, New Delhi (September 1-2, 2012)
- (2012- ) Journal of Educational Administration and History (UK) editorial team of reviewers.
- (June-July, 2013) Visiting Research Fellowship at the Georg-Eckert Institute, Braunschweig, Germany
- (August-October, 2013) Visiting Professor at the Institute of Advanced Studies, (IIAS), Shimla, India
- (2015) Visiting Fellow, Centre of Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- (Sept., 2016) Visiting Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru University, (JNU) New Delhi, India
- (2015-) Female Outreach in India: Global Education and Understanding what works in the rescue of destitute and trafficked girls in Kolkata, India; Allender, T. (AUSAid) $38,500
- (2016-) Historical Thinking and Australian History: improving the learning of trainee teachers; Allender, T., Smyth, K., Chia, Y-T., Goulding, J. Education Innovation Grant (EIG), (University of Sydney) $34,729
- Allender, T. (2003) The Hunter Education Commission, 1884 and Indian Education journal. ARC Project Documentary Profiles. Digital Colonial Documents (La Trobe University)
Invited keynotes and presentations
- Allender, T. (2016). 'Educating and Enabling Girls' 9th August, Sydney Ideas, (evening public panel presentation along with Dame Marie Bashir, Linda Burney MP, Dr Alexandra McCormick, Annabel Crabb (Chair)), Great Hall, University of Sydney, Australia.
- Allender, T. (2016). ’Shaping the Colonial Body: Images of Interaction and Racial Capture in the Raj, 1845-1922’, 7th September, Zakir Husain Centre for Educational Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India
- Allender, T. (2016). ‘Research Methods and Publishing in India’, 8th September, Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University, New Delhi, India
- Allender, T. (2016), Chair for the launch of 'Beyond 1914 and the Classroom? Fisher Library, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- Allender, T. (2015), Femininity and Feminism in Colonial India, 1875-1919 (Guest Lecture, 9 September, Centre of Historical Studies, JNU, New Delhi, India).
- Allender, T. (2015), Religious orders in colonial India: the paradigm of piety and future transformations, 1880-1935 (Guest Lecture, 1 October, Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University, New Delhi, India).
- Allender, T. (2015), The semiotics of photographic and other female representations in colonial India, 1810-1918 (Guest Lecture, 29 September, Centre for Women?s Studies, JNU, New Delhi, India).
- Allender, T. (2014), Western epistemologies and colonial educational experimentation in the Punjab, 1855-1900 (Invited Guest Seminar Presentation, Jawalharlal Nehru University (JNU), 6 November).
- Allender, T. (2013), Learning Femininity: girls and women at the periphery reconfiguring race and class in the raj, 1825-1931 (Professorial Lecture and Q&A, Institute of Advanced Studies, (IIAS), Shimla, India, 12 September 2013).
- Allender, T. (2013), Surrendering a Colonial Domain: Western epistemologies and bureaucratic procedures in the Punjab, 1855-1900 (Professorial Lecture and Q&A, Institute of Advanced Studies, (IIAS), Shimla, India, 25 September 2013).
- Allender, T. (2013), Whose History and Whose National Story?: the ontology of contemporary Western teaching praxis, learning constituencies and what counts as knowledge (Professorial Lecture and Q&A, Institute of Advanced Studies, (IIAS), Shimla, India, 19 September 2013).
- Allender, T. (2013), Whose past now? : Lively learners and disciplinary teaching in the History classroom (Guest Lecture, Georg-Eckert Institute, Braunschweig, Germany, 10 July 2013).
- Allender, T. (2012), Best Practice History Teaching in Australia: The Disciplinary Discourse (Lecture, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 12 September, 2012).
- Allender, T. (2012), Brown Ladies: Learning Femininity in Colonial India, 1800-1920 (Lecture, Nehru Memorial Museum & Library, New Delhi, 30 November 2012).
- Allender, T. (2012), Female Education in Colonial India, 1800-1930 (Keynote, Miranda House, University of Delhi, 5 September, 2012).
- Allender, T. (2012), Missionary Piety, the State and Knowledge Transfer in Colonial India, 1800-1900 (Lecture, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 29 November, 2012).
- Allender, T. (2012), The Missionary Precursors of St Stephen's College (Address, St Stephen's College, University of Delhi, 6 September, 2012).
- McDonnell, M., Allender, T. (2012), Thinking Inclusively about History at University: Recent Research and Developments in the Sydney History Department (Seminar, St Paul's College, University of Sydney, 1 August 2012).
- Allender, T. (2012), Worlds Apart, Worlds Reconfigured: The Paradigm of Piety and Knowledge Transfer in Colonial India, 1860-1900 (Lecture, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 29 November 2012).
- Allender, T. (2011), Critical Literacy in the History Classroom (Workshop, OISE, University of Toronto, Canada, 28 October, 2011).
- Allender, T. (2011), Feminist Imaginaries Abroad: Western Female Professionalism and the Colonial State in India, 1850-1930 (Lecture, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, India).
- Allender, T. (2011), Knowledge Transfer: Global Context or Historical Precursors? (Workshop, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, India).
- Allender, T. (2011), Researching Best Practice Teachers: Developing the Knowledge of Teaching (Workshop, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, India).
- Allender, T. (2010), 'New turns in postcolonialism: feminism and teaching "abroad" in India, 1880-1920' (Seminar, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House, University of London, 7 January, 2010).
- Allender, T. (2010), Knowledge Transfer and the Asian Contribution: Contesting Western Hegemony (Research Symposium, Suratthani Rajabhat University, Thailand. 13 July, 2010).
- Allender, T. (2010), Teaching Across the Disciplines: The Classroom Language of Best Practice Teaching in Comparative Perspective (Seminar, University of Winchester, 20 January 2010).
- Allender, T. (2010), Understanding Gender and Transnational Intellectual Transfer on the Subcontinent (Lecture, Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. 24 January, 2010).
- Allender, T. (2009), Loreto in India: More Than Just One ?T?, 1845-1920 (Lecture, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. 23 January, 2010).
- Allender, T. (2009), New Historical Approaches to Postcolonial Scholarship (Faculty of Education Methodology Series Symposium. University of Sydney. May 28, 2009).
- Allender, T. (2005), Understanding Education in Colonial India (History of Education Lecture Series. Senate House, University of London, UK, September, 2005).
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Social Inclusion and the Socio-cultural predications of Teaching and Learning: the Under-privileged of Australia and India; Allender T, Keeley C, Sarangapani P, Khunyakari R, Sriprakash A; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Exchanging Education Knowledge: towards transformative models of initial teacher education; Sriprakash A, Allender T; Dept Foreign Affairs & Trade (Australia-India Council)/Australia India Council Grant Program.
- Exchanging Educational Knowledge; Sriprakash A, Allender T; Australia India Council/Research Support.
- Disciplinarity and classroom practice: epistemological issues in the analysis and improvement of teaching and learning; Bahr N, Wright A, Wright A, Allender T, Freebody P; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Women Educators in Colonial India: Innovative Responses to Changing State Agendas, 1854-1919; Allender T; University of Sydney/Early Career Researcher.
- Ewing Postdoctoral Fellowship; Allender T; University of Sydney/Ewing Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Electronic access to seminal documents: rare, colonial, post-colonial; Allender T, McGuire J, Brasted H, Jeffrey R; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Contextualising an education partnership: A history of Australian/Indian collaboration in education, 1857-1947; Allender T; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Newly Appointed Staff (NAS).
Learning femininity in colonial India, 1820-1932 (Manchester University Press, 2016)
Ruling through education: the politics of schooling in the colonial Punjab (New Dawn Press, 2006)
Coaches Called Here: A History of Buangor and Surrounding Districts (Advertiser Press, 1996)