Events from 2010
Centenary of Education | 70 years of Social Work
The Faculty of Education and Social Work, established in 2003, continues the long tradition in education and social work as disciplines honoured and professions enriched by the University of Sydney across the decades and despite myriad restructures and developments.
- History and archival photos of Social Work at the University of Sydney
- History and archival photos of Education at the University of Sydney
- Faculty of Education and Social Work Arts Prize commemorating a centenary of education and seven decades of social work at the University of Sydney
To commemorate two major anniversaries in 2010 a centenary since the appointment of 34-year-old Alexander Mackie (top, right) as the University's first chair in Education, and 70 years since the University began training social workers current Dean of Education and Social Work Professor Rob Tierney (below, right) is pleased to invite alumni and friends of the faculty and its predecessors in the University and affiliates to the important events listed below.
- When: Monday, November 22, 7pm
- Where: Great Hall, Quadrangle, The University of Sydney
- What: three-course meal, drinks and entertainment
- Price: $110 per person (incl. GST)
- Online RSVP: November 8
- Enquiries: Events Office, Alumni Relations. Telephone +61 2 9036 9278.
This significant occasion will pay tribute to the effort, achievement, enthusiasm, passion and vision of students, staff and affiliates of the Faculty of Education and Social Work and its predecessors: Sydney Teachers College, and Sydney Institute of Education.
To see photos from this dinner, visit this photo gallery.
- When: Wednesday, July 28, 7pm
- Where: The Holme Building, Science Road, The University of Sydney
Adjunct Professor Imelda Dodds, Acting CEO NSW Trustee & Guardian will convene the evening, which will feature guest appearances by Chris Bourke and the Yarramundi Kids (as seen on NITV), and the Faculty of Education and Social Work choir. Each person attending will receive a copy of Doing Good Well, a history of 70 years of social work at the University of Sydney 19402010, by Honorary Associate Professor Michael Horsburgh AM.