Education and Social Work Society (EDSOC)
First established in 1907, the Education and Social Work Society (EDSOC) is one of the oldest student societies at the University of Sydney.
The Education Society was started at the Sydney Teachers' College by Alexander Mackie, the first principal of the College and the founding Professor of Education at the University of Sydney.
The Education Society remained an active body in the early 1990s when the Teachers' College and the university's newly formed Faculty of Education were merged following the Dawkins Reforms to Higher Education. The society was renamed the Education and Social Work Society when Social Work joined the faculty in 2003, representing both student teachers and social workers at the University of Sydney.
The Society operates on the same principles upon which it was founded over 100 years ago – 'to develop a collegial spirit based on sound scholarship, good fellowship, loyalty, and keenness in sport'. In 2009, EDSOC continues to develop and encourage social, academic and professional cooperation amongst the students at the Sydney School of Education and Social Work in the University of Sydney.
The Education and Social Work Society provides the following for students in the faculty:-
- The promotion of a common meeting ground for teachers, graduates, and undergraduates in the Sydney School of Education and Social Work
- Furthering the interests of members and to represent their views, particularly in matters related to their education
- Representation on various academic boards and committees, including the Faculty Board and the Academic Forum
- Liaising with the University of Sydney Union (USU) and the Students' Representative Council (SRC) on issues that affect education and social work students in the university
- Social events such as an End Of Year Ball, Harbour Cruises, Drinks Nights and Afternoons.
- Regular barbecues on the Education Lawn
- Interfaculty sport
- Publications, including a fortnightly newsletter, The Dunce
The Dean recommends that students become active the Society and support its activities. All students undertaking a degree offered by Sydney School of Education and Social Work are already members of EDSOC.
Education & Social Work Society
Room 406, Education Building (A35)
University of Sydney NSW 2006
Telephone: +61 2 9351 6350