Education (Secondary: HMHE) – course notices

Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students

The requirement to complete literacy and numeracy testing applies to all students enrolled in the BEd (Primary); BEd (Health and PE); BEd (Secondary:Humanities and Social Sciences), BA; BEd (Secondary: Maths), BSc; BEd (Secondary:Science), BSc; and all Master of Teaching programs except MTeach (Early Childhood).

Information about LANTITES for commencing students: 2017 and 2018 and beyond


All students commencing their studies in 2017 will be required to have successfully completed testing as follows:

  • For the BEd programs, testing must be completed within the first two years of candidature
  • For the MTeach program, testing must be completed before the second year of candidature, that is, during Year One of the program.


It is anticipated that all students commencing their degrees in or after 2018 will be expected to have successfully completed the test prior to enrolling in the course. Before applying for, or enrolling in, the teacher-education degree of your choice, please check our website and/or contact our Professional Engagement and Program Support Team for updates on this information.

Useful links

To register to take the test, go to

For information about teacher-accreditation requirements in NSW, including the testing, go to the website of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) at

Continuing students (that is, those who enrolled prior to 2017), should contact their program support manager for information about when they will need to complete the testing.

New procedures for seeking extensions for assignments

All students are required to familiarise themselves with new policies and procedures regarding seeking extensions for assignments.

These new procedures can be found on our "how to..." page.

Special arrangements for sporting commitments

Students may be eligible to apply for Special Arrangements if they are unable to attend University because of compulsory university, state, or national sporting commitments.

Students may also be eligible to apply for Special Arrangements for other compulsory commitments due to religious reasons, or legal obligations such as jury duty or a court summons

Information about how to apply for a Special Arrangements is available on the school's forms page.