Policies governing RHD students
The University has a number of policies* that govern research higher degrees (RHDs). Students and supervisors should familiarise themselves with the policies listed on this page because these are the ones of greatest relevance. The policies themselves are lodged in the University’s Policy Register.
- University of Sydney (Higher Degree by Research) Rule 2011: This rule provides the framework for all higher degrees offered by research at the University, i.e. master's degrees by research, doctorates by research, and higher doctorates by research.
- Degree of Doctor of Philosophy Policy: This policy sets out the process and requirements for examination for PhD students, including thesis submission, appointment of examiners, examiners’ reports and possible examination outcomes.
- Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Students Policy 2013: This policy sets out the University's approach and requirements relating to research supervision.
- Essential Resources for Postgraduate Research Students Policy 2012: This policy sets out the University’s commitment to providing postgraduate research students with the support and resources necessary for them to undertake their research and complete their degree.
- PhD: Submission of Doctor of Philosophy Theses Containing Published Work Policy: This policy sets out the Academic Board requirements for a thesis which contains published work, in particular, clarifying the meaning of ‘in support of candidature’. This policy applies to all candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
- Proof-reading and Editing of Dissertations and Theses Policy: This policy specifies the extent to which external paid assistance may be involved in the preparation of the final version of a thesis or dissertation prior to submission.
In addition to University policies, the faculty has a number of local provisions that also govern RHDs.
- Faculty of Education and Social Work – Thesis Proposal Review Meeting Provisions: This document establishes a process by which candidates proposed research projects are discussed with other experts and feedback obtained from academics with research experience in related fields.
- Faculty of Education and Social Work – Research Student Laptop Loan Provisions: This document sets out the terms on which the faculty lends laptops to RHD students.
- Faculty of Education and Social Work – Research Student Space Allocation Provisions: This document sets out the basis upon which the faculty allocates space to RHD students.