Publications authored by higher-degree-research students in 2013
Doctoral Studies Completed Theses – 2013 ArchiveThis page is no longer updated. Page archived on Thu, 14 Jul 2016
- Barkell, J., & O'Connor, D. (2013). A case study of coach practices in skill acquisition training. In H. Nunome, B. Drust, & B. Dawson (Eds.), Science and football VII: The proceedings of the seventh world congress on science and football (pp. 355-360). Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Gibson, R., Campbell, V. (2013). Playing with puppetry. In R. Ewing (Ed.), Creative Arts in the Lives of Young Children: Play, imagination and learning (pp. 114-128). Melbourne: ACER Press.
- Campbell, V. (2013). Playing with storytelling. In R. Ewing (Ed.), Creative Arts in the Lives of Young Children: Play, imagination and learning (pp. 34-46). Melbourne: ACER Press.
- Goldstein, M. (2013). "They bombed us" - teaching Japanese in country New South Wales: Privilege and parochialism. In L. Harbon & R. Moloney (Eds.), Language teachers’ narratives of practice (pp. 37-47). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Kennedy-Clark, S., Galstaun, V., & Anderson, K. (2013). Death in Rome: Using an online game for inquiry-based learning in a pre-service teacher training course. In Y. Baek & N. Whitton (Eds.), Cases on digital game-based learning: Methods, models, and strategies (pp. 364-382). Hershey: IGI Global.
- Kennedy-Clark, S., & Thompson, K. (2013). A MUVEing success: Design strategies for professional development in the use of multi-user virtual environments and educational games in science education. In S. D’Agustino (Ed.), Immersive environments, augmented realities, and virtual worlds: Assessing future trends in education (pp. 16-41). Philadelphia, USA: Information Science Reference.
- Le, M. X., & Harbon, L. (2013). Introducing ICT into an English Language Teacher Education Program in Vietnam. In K. Laws, L. Harbon & C. Wescombe (Eds.), Supporting Professional Development with Learning through Action Projects: Research from Australia & Southeast Asia (Vol. 3rd, pp. 113–129). The University of Sydney.
- West, S., Lewis, M. J., & Ward, M-H. (2013). Sally Goes to Uni: Blended learning as the intersection of technology, pedagogy and content in higher education. In S. Chapter Loftus, J. Higgs, M. Smith, E. Duffy, & T. Gerzina (Eds.), Educating health professionals: Becoming a university teacher. Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Mai, L. (2013). Behold: Art appreciation in the early years. In R. Ewing (Ed.), Creative arts in the lives of young children: Play, imagination and learning (pp. 47-64). Melbourne: ACER Press.
- Mayes, E., & Groundwater-Smith, S. (2013). Ricoprire posizioni alternative: Student voice, riflessione e riforma [Performing alternative positions: Student voice, reflection and reform]. In V. Grion & A. Cook-Sather (Eds.), Student Voice. Prospettive Internazionale e Pratiche Emergenti in Italia [IStudent Voice. International perspectives and emergent practices in Italy] (pp. 193-211). Milan, Italy: Guerinin E Associati.
- Mooney, J., & Moore, S. J. (2013). Shifting the emphasis: Embedding and reflecting on introducing Aboriginal Studies and perspectives. In R. G. Craven & J. Mooney (Eds.), Seeding success in Indigenous Australian higher education (pp. 301-318). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Martin, A., Ginns, P., Papworth, B., & Ghasemi-Nejad, M. (2013). Aboriginal/Indigenous students in high school: Understanding their motivation, engagement, academic buoyancy, and achievement. In G. A. D. Liem & A. B. I. Bernardo (Eds.), Advancing cross-cultural perspectives on educational psychology: A Festschrift for Dennis M. McInerney (pp. 273-294). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Martin, A., Ginns, P., Papworth, B., & Ghasemi-Nejad, M. (2013). The role of academic buoyancy in Aboriginal/Indigenous students' educational intentions: Sowing the early seeds of success for post-school education and training. In R. G. Craven & J. Mooney (Eds.), Seeding success in Indigenous Australian higher education (pp. 57-79). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Ertmer, P., Parisio, M., & Wardak, D. (2013). The practice of educational/instructional design. In R. Luckin, S. Puntambekar, P. Goodyear, B. Grabowski, J. Underwood, & N. Winters (Eds.), Handbook of Design in Educational Technology (pp. 5-19). New York: Routledge.
- Serrano-Amaya, J. F. (2013). A people-centered approach to the links among HIV/AIDS, conflicts, and security in Colombia. In Raymond A. Smith (Ed.), Global HIV/AIDS politics, policy and activism: Persistent challenges and emerging issues (pp. 315-335). Santa Barbara, California: Praeger Publishers.
- Serrano-Amaya, J. F. (2013). Agenciamiento e (in)visibilidad de la diversidad sexual y de gÈnero en la construcciÛn de pazî. [Agency and (in)visibility of gender and sexual diversity in peace building]. In J. F. Serrano & A. Baird (Eds.) Paz paso a paso. Una mirada desde los estudios de paz a los conflictos colombianos. Bogota: Editorial universidad Javeriana, Cinep, Odecofi, Cerac.
- Tseris, E. (2013). Beyond symptoms: Towards a narrative conceptualisation of women who have experienced trauma. In F. Davies & L. Gonzalez (Eds.), Madness, women and the power of art (pp. 25-43). UK: Inter-Disciplinary Press.
- Welch, A., & Wahidyar, A. (2013). Evolution, revolution, reconstruction: The interrupted development of higher education in Afghanistan. In M. F. Buck & M. Kabaum (Eds.), Ideen und Realitaten von Universitaten [Universities: Ideas and realities] (pp. 83-105). Frankfurt: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Aditomo, A., Goodyear, P., Bliuc, A., & Ellis, R. (2013). Inquiry-based learning in higher education: Principal forms, educational objectives, and disciplinary variations. Studies in Higher Education, 38(9), 1239-1258. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2011.616584
- Barkell, J., O'Connor, D., & Cotton, W. (2013). An examination of the progression from national schoolboy to senior representation in Australian rugby union. University of Sydney Papers in Human Movement, Health and Coach Education, 2, 1-16.
- Carter, D. (2013). Ars Poetica, Romanticism and English education: Poetic inheritances in the senior secondary English curriculum in New South Wales, Australia. English Teaching: Practice and Critique, 12(1), 46-63.
- Martin, A., Ghasemi-Nejad, M., Colmar, S., Liem, A. (2013). Adaptability: How students' responses to uncertainty and novelty predict their academic and non-academic outcomes. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(3), 728-746. doi: 10.1037/a0032794
- Hale, C. (2013). A sense of belonging in re-membering: Anthropocosmic connection in the twenty-first century. World Futures: the journal of general evolution, 69(1), 45-60. doi: 10.1080/02604027.2012.730439
- Han, F. (2013). The relationship between L1 and FL comprehension monitoring with Chinese EFL readers. International Journal of Literacies, 19(1), 13-24.
- Welch, A., & Hao, J. (2013). Returnees and diaspora as source of innovation in Chinese higher education. Frontiers of Education in China, 8(2), 214-238. doi: 10.3868/s110-002-013-0016-7
- Haque, M. M. (2013). Hope for gender equality? A pattern of post-conflict transition in masculinity. Gender, Technology and Development, 17(1), 55-77. doi: 10.1177/0971852412472124
- Foster, K., Lewis, M., Marshall, A., & Lewis, P. (2013). Educating Australian registered nurses in comprehensive health assessment: A pilot study. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 44(4), 155-162. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20130201-34
- Martin, A., Mansour, M., Anderson, M., Gibson, R., Liem, A., & Sudmalis, D. (2013). The role of arts participation in students' academic and nonacademic outcomes: A longitudinal study of school, home, and community factors. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(3), 709-727. doi: 10.1037/a0032795
- Mayes, E. (2013). Negotiating the hidden curriculum: Power and affect in negotiated classrooms. English in Australia, 48(3), 62-71.
- Takayanagi, T., & Shimomura, T. (2013). Indigenous women facing educational disadvantages: The case of the Ainu in Japan. Prospects: quarterly review of comparative education, 43(3), 347-360. doi: 10.1007/s11125-013-9273-y
- Thanosawan, P., & Laws, K. (2013). Global citizenship: Differing perceptions within two Thai higher education institutions. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 35(3), 293-304. doi: 10.1080/1360080X.2013.786861
- Walczak, M., Uziak, J., Oladiran, M. T., Baeza, C. C., & Thibaut, P. (2013). Industry expectations of mechanical engineering graduates. A case study in Chile. International Journal of Engineering Education, 29(1), 181-192.
- Tseris, E. (2013). Trauma theory without feminism? Evaluating contemporary understandings of traumatized women. Affilia-Journal of Women and Social Work, 28(2), 153-164. doi: 10.1177/0886109913485707
- Goodwin, S., & Voola, A. (2013). Framing microfinance in Australia - gender neutral or gender blind? Australian Journal of Social Issues, 48(2), 223-239.
- Voola, A. (2013). The sustainability of what?: The challenge for microfinance in Australia. Third Sector Review, 19(1), 127-146.
- Thompson, K., Ashe, D., Wardak, D., Yeoman, P., & Parisio, M. (2013). Identification of patterns of tool use and sketching practices in a learning by design task. In N. Rummel, M. Kapur, M. Nathan, & S. Puntambekar (Eds.), Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, CSCL 2013 (Vol. 1, pp. 478-486). Madison, WI: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Thompson, K., Ashe, D., Yeoman, P., & Parisio, M. (2013). Phases of design: Following idea development and patterns of collaborative discussion in a learning by design project. In N. Rummel, M. Kapur, M. Nathan, & S. Puntambekar (Eds.), Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, CSCL 2013 (Vol. 1, pp. 494-501). Madison, WI: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Goldstein, M. (2013). Teach me to teach English in English: Navigating "top-down" implementation of target language as the medium of instruction for Korean-speaking teachers of English language. In M. Pinto & D. Shaffer (Eds.), Perfect score: Methodologies, technologies, & communities of practice, KOTESOL 2012 Proceedings (pp. 147-155). Korea: Korea TESOL (KOTESOL).
- Khan, S. H., & Markauskaite, L. (2013). Emerging teachers' conceptions about their current use of ICT in vocational education. In H. Carter, M. Gosper, & J. Hedberg (Eds.), Electric dreams, 30th ascilite Conference 2013 Proceedings (pp.476-480). Sydney: Macquarie University.
- Mayes, E. (2013). Students researching teachers' practice: Lines of flight and temporary assemblage conversions in and through a Students-as-Co-researchers event. In J. White (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference of the Australian Association for Research in Education, AARE 2013. Deakin, ACT: Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE).
- Mifsud, A. (2013). Using social network sites to foster creativity and collaboration in the music classroom. In B. Merrick & D. Forrest (Eds.), Redefining the musical landscape: Inspired learning and innovation in music education, XIX National Australian Society for Music Education Conference Proceedings (pp. 138-143). Parkville, Australia: Australian Society for Music Education (ASME).
- Nakakoji, Y., Wilson, R., & Poladian, L. (2013). Participation & transfer of learning between tertiary mathematics, science, and engineering education. In M. Sharma & A. Yeung (Eds.), Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education 2013, 19th Annual UniServe Science Conference (pp. 174-178). University of Sydney: Uniserve Science.
- Wettewa, V. (2013). Education in globalizing Sri Lanka: The case of Sri Lankan international schools. In L. Gomez Chova, A. Lopez Martinez, & I. Candel Torres (Eds.), Proceedings 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, ICERI 2013 (pp. 3218-3227). International Academy of Technology, Education and Development (IATED).
- Zhong, H. (2013). Receptive word comprehension and productive word use. In S. May (Ed.), Refereed Conference Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Language, Education and Diversity, LED 2011. Auckland, NZ: University of Auckland.