Secondary teaching – English

In NSW and other Australian states prospective secondary-school English teachers usually need to obtain accreditation to teach English as well as a second subject.

People who are interested in a career teaching secondary-school English would normally be required to complete university studies in all of the following:

  • English literature

  • a second teaching area, for example, drama, history, a language other than English, mathematics

  • education as a social science

  • professional and curriculum studies (teaching methodology).

Recommended studies for HSC students

The undergraduate degree-pathway for students who are contemplating a career in secondary-school English teaching requires five-years' study and results in the award of a double degree: Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Humanities and Social Sciences) and Bachelor of Arts.

Year 10 students who are hoping to enrol in a university course that would qualify them to teach secondary English, and who are about to choose their subjects for the Higher School Certificate, would benefit from completing at least the English Standard course as well as subjects that are relevant to the second teaching area in which they are interested.

Prerequisites for graduate-entry applicants

Graduates with a first degree that includes studies appropriate to teaching English may be eligible for admission to the Master of Teaching. Undergraduate studies that are generally appropriate for entry into the MTeach for English include a Bachelor of Arts with a major in modern British literature. The detailed prerequisites are available in the graduate-entry section of "Future students".