Secondary teaching – physical education

In NSW prospective secondary school teachers of physical education – referred to officially as personal development, health and physical education (PDHPE) – can usually qualify to teach that subject exclusively. People who are interested in a career teaching PDHPE would normally be required to complete university studies in all of the following:

  • health education

  • physical (human-movement) education

  • education as a social science

  • professional and curriculum studies (teaching methodology) in PDHPE

  • other studies in the faculties of Arts, Science, or Economics and Business

The University does not offer a course for people who already hold first degrees in related disciplines and are seeking to append these with a graduate-entry degree that will allow them to teach PDHPE.

Recommended studies for HSC students

The undergraduate degree for high-school students who are contemplating a career in teaching PDHPE typically requires four-years' full-time study (or equivalent part-time study) and results in the award of the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) (Human Movement and Health Education).

Although no prerequisites exist for programs resulting in PDHPE-teacher accreditation, Year 10 students who are hoping to pursue PDHPE teaching as a career – and who are about to choose their HSC subjects – would benefit from studying PDHPE and biology.