Secondary teaching – science

In NSW and other Australian states science teachers can usually qualify to teach science exclusively (by specialising in two or more of the sciences) or to teach science and another subject. A career teaching only science would normally require university studies in all of the following:

  • at least two sciences (biology, chemistry, geology or physics), with one of these being a major

  • at least one year of study in chemistry or physics (which may be counted as – or toward – one of the requirements referred to above)

  • education as a social science

  • professional and curriculum studies (teaching methodology).

People wishing to qualify to teach another subject in addition to science will only need to continue studying one science after completing a year's study in physics or chemistry, but must also undertake studies in their chosen second teaching area, for example, a language, mathematics or geography.

Recommended studies for HSC students

The undergraduate degree-pathway for high-school students who are contemplating a career in teaching science requires five-years' study and results in the award of a double degree: Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Science) and Bachelor of Science.

Although no prerequisites exist for programs resulting in science-teaching accreditation, Year 10 students who are hoping to pursue a career teaching science – and who are about to choose their HSC subjects – would benefit from studying one or more science subjects for their HSC, as well as subjects relevant to the additional teaching area (if any) in which they are interested.

Prerequisites for graduate-entry applicants

Graduates with a first degree that includes studies appropriate to teaching science may be eligible for admission to the Master of Teaching. All science teachers must have studied either chemistry or physics for at least one year in an undergraduate degree. Undergraduate studies that are generally appropriate for entry into the MTeach for science include a Bachelor of Science. The detailed prerequisites are available in the graduate-entry section of "Future students".