Secondary teaching – TESOL

In NSW and other Australian states, people interested in becoming qualified in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) usually need to obtain accreditation in a second subject as well as TESOL. Typically, this would mean completing university studies in all of the following:

  • linguistics or English

  • a second teaching area, for example, English, geography, another language, mathematics or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

  • education as a social science

  • professional and curriculum studies (teaching methodology).

Recommended studies for HSC students

The undergraduate degree-pathway for high-school students who are contemplating a career in TESOL requires five-years' study and results in the award of a double degree, which may be one of three combinations, depending on the units of study completed in the program. The combinations are:

  • BEd (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and BSc

  • BEd (Secondary Education: Science) and BSc

  • BEd (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences) and BA.

Although no prerequisites exist for programs resulting in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages accreditation, Year 10 students who are hoping to pursue TESOL as a career – and who are about to choose their HSC subjects – would benefit from studying a language for their HSC as well as subjects relevant to the second teaching area in which they are interested.

Prerequisites for graduate-entry applicants

Graduates with a first degree that includes studies appropriate to TESOL may be eligible for admission to the Master of Teaching program. Undergraduate studies that are generally appropriate for entry into the MTeach for TESOL include Bachelor of Arts with a major in English or linguistics. The detailed prerequisites are available in the graduate-entry section of "Future students".