Benefits of group work
The benefits of group work for staff and students are both pedagogical and pragmatic. In quality group work quality learning, teaching, and assessment practices are employed in order to facilitate the achievement of learning outcomes. The degree to which these benefits occur depends upon the design, organisation and purpose of the group work, as well as the entering perceptions of staff and students. Good reasons to work in groups include:
- enhancement of student learning through the collaborative process
- value placed on teamwork skills by employers
- development of generic Graduate Attributes and skills
- efficiency in time, cost and energy for academics
- reduction in workload associated with assessment, grading and feedback.