Preventing academic dishonesty
Preventing academic dishonesty is about encouraging academic honesty. This means creating a community of scholars who value and acknowledge each other’s work. Students in this type of environment will learn to appreciate the need to protect the work of others.
The following strategies may facilitate academic honesty:
- Foster an environment where students feel their opinions and ideas are valued.
- Clearly explain the aims, learning outcomes and requirements of any group work task.
- Establish clear rules for group work at the beginning of the semester.
- Spend time working on students’ skills in researching and referencing.
- Include as much written information about academic honesty as possible in the Unit of Study outline and discuss this in class.
- Direct students to support networks for the preparation of work.
- Refer students to the University and Faculty policies on academic dishonesty.