Marking criteria and grade descriptors
Students should be given clear marking criteria or grade descriptors with the assessment task description. This will:
- provide a link between the assessment and the learning outcomes
- provide consistency in your marking
- give information to students and make providing feedback easier
- guide students and allow them to demonstrate achievement at different levels
- help you to distinguish between different levels of achievement
- encourage open communication about your expectations of the task.
Clear and effective marking criteria and grade descriptors are integral to the whole process of learning and teaching. You may consider negotiating marking criteria with students. This can give them self direction in their projects.