- Interactive whiteboards are used in many schools as replacements for traditional whiteboards or flip charts or video/media systems. An interactive whiteboard is a large interactive display that connects to a computer and projector. Users can control the computer using their finger or a pen device on the board's surface. Interactive whiteboards can be used to:
- Operate any software that is loaded onto the connected PC, including web browsers
- Use software to capture notes written on a whiteboard
- Control the PC, such as the “click and drag” functions
- Translate hand-writing into text (on certain models)
- Carry out polls and quizzes and capture the feedback (on certain models)
The software supplied with the interactive whiteboard will usually allow the teacher to keep notes and annotations as an electronic file for later distribution either on paper or through a number of electronic formats.
What is an Interactive Whiteboard?
- Teacher Feature... Why Use an Interactive Whiteboard? A Baker’s Dozen Reasons!
Explains what a Interactive Whiteboard is and why it should be used in the classroom. (retrieved Feb 2, 2011)
Tutorials and Templates
- Getting Started
Electroboard tutorials and learning materials for new users of SMART Board interactive whiteboards. (retrieved Feb 2, 2011)
- The University of Southern Mississippi. The Learning Enhancement Center.
Offers a series of on-line Flash tutorials for SMART Classroom Equipment. You will need a Flash Player installed to view these tutorials. (retrieved Feb 2, 2011)
- SMART Board in the Classroom
Provides links to lessons and template files you can download and use in the classroom. (retrieved Feb 2, 2011)
Smart Notebook tutorials & how-tos
- How to how to create, select, move, resize and rotate objects in Notebook software
- How to create ‘True’ and ‘False’ questions
- How to use the download premade lessons feature of your notebook software
- How to convert the text from the Smart Keyboard into speech
- How to allow students to use the eraser to magically reveal hidden text and images within SMART Notebook lessons
- How to make hidden answers to be revealed
- How to use the Smartboard Recorder utility
- How to download a video from YouTube, TeacherTube, or any other flash video site to your computer, and then import it into your Smart notebook software
- More videos at TeacherTube (All Teachertube links retrieved Feb 2, 2011)