Suicide Prevention – Short Course
15 & 16 March, 3 & 4 May, 6 June 2014
This short course provides participants with an introduction to the latest knowledge in research and practice in suicide and suicide prevention in Australia, and practical skills for responding to people at risk of suicide.
By the end of the course, participants have a sound knowledge and understanding of suicide, suicidal behaviour and self-harm and the relationships and differences between these three areas.
Participants will examine prevalence and risk factors in sub-populations, and evidence-based strategies to reduce suicide and suicidal risk. Participants will also have the opportunity to learn about different communication skills for effectively responding to a person at risk of suicide and have the opportunity to apply their learning by developing an intervention or "Pathway to Care" plan for their particular work context.
Concepts covered in the workshops and readings include:
- epidemiology and aetiology of suicide and self harm behaviours
- economic, social and personal costs of suicide and self harm
- effective programs and interventions
- the role of the bystander and acting when faced with suicidal behaviour
- risk assessment and communication skills for working with people at risk of suicide
- communication skills for working with people bereaved by suicide
- evidence for need for postvention services
- reviewing various state and territory suicide prevention strategies
- emerging issues – social media, cyber-bullying and suicide and self harm.
The short course is presented by leading mental health advocate John Mendoza for people working in mental health service delivery or policy development, in particular, suicide prevention.
Participants are required to attend all five dates. The course is presented for people working in mental health service delivery or policy development.
- Cost: $1750 per person
T +61 2 9114 4048
- More info: sydney.edu.au/bmri/education/short-courses/suicide-prevention.php
- Speaker: Adjunct Professor John Mendoza