Internationalising Learning and Teaching in Academic Settings
ENGAGEMENT, COLLABORATION AND SUSTAINABILITY
Monday 23 November 2009
PDFs of slide presentations are available on our 2009 resources page. The published proceedings containing papers successfully submitted for peer-review will be available in early 2010. Further information will be posted here as it becomes available.
Internationalisation has become a popular term used to describe the ways in which universities respond to globalisation. It is a dynamic and complex process and interpretations are varied.
As part of our commitment to internationalisation, the Faculty of Education and Social Work invites colleagues (staff and students) from all disciplines to share ideas with us about developing our capacity and refining our academic (research and teaching) and administrative practices.
Dr Hans de Wit, Professor in Internationalisation of Higher Education, School of Economics and Management, The Hogeschool van Amsterdam, University of Applied Sciences
Hans de Wit's previous positions include:
- Founding Dean of Windesheim Honours College of the VU Amsterdam/Windesheim Hogeschool, Zwolle, 2007-08
- Director of the Hague Forum for Judicial Expertise within the Hague Academic Coalition, 2005-06
- Director of the Office of Foreign Relations, Vice President for International Affairs and Senior Advisor International at the Universiteit van Amsterdam, 1986-2005
- Director of International Relations at Tilburg University, 1981-85.
Hans de Witt is Co-Editor of the Journal of Studies in International Education (Association for Studies in International Education/SAGE publishers), and is the author of several books including:
- The Dynamics of International Student Circulation in a Global Context (2008), co-edited with Pawan Agarwal, Mohsen Elmahdy Said, Molatlhegi Sehoole and Muhammad Sirozi
- European Responses to the Global Perspective (2006), co-edited with Barbara Kehm
- Higher Education in Latin America: The International Dimension (2005), co-edited with Isabel Cristina Jaramillo, Jocelyne Gacel Avila and Jane Knight: and
- Internationalisation of Higher Education in the United States of America and Europe: A Historical, Comparative and Conceptual Analysis (2002)
He has also (co)written a number of other books and articles on international education and is actively involved in assessment and consultancy in international education for organisations such as the European Commission, the European Universities Association (EUA), the World Bank, IMHE/OECD and ESMU, the Salzburg Seminar.
Hans de Wit was a 'Fulbright New Century Scholar' in the 2005–06 program 'Higher Education in the 21st Century', and has been the recipient of a number of awards including a 2002 Marita Houlihan Award of NAFSA, Association of International Educators, and a 2004 CIEE Award for Research in the Field of International Education.
Hans is one of the founding members and a past president of the European Association for International Education (EAIE). Currently he is Member of the Board of Trustees of World Education Services (New York), Miembro del Consejo Asesor of the Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y Acreditación (ANECA) in Spain, Miembro del Consejo Académico Honorario del Programa de Posgrados en Pol'ticas y Administración de la Educación of the Universidad Nacional Tres de Febrero in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He is also a member of the Bologna Task force of NAFSA.
Please email or phone 02 9351 8521 (Tue, Wed & Fri)