NSW Community Languages Program
CERTIFICATE IN LANGUAGE TEACHING
Applications for the 2013 intake of students for the Certificate in Language Teaching have closed. The next program will open for registrations in March 2014.
The NSW Department of Education and Communities (DEC) is committed to providing professional development for teachers in community languages schools. On behalf of the department, in 2011 and 2012, The University of Sydney provided the Certificate in Language Teaching (CLT) and we are pleased to announce this will continue in 2013.
The CLT is a FREE, 60-hour course for people currently teaching in DEC-funded community languages schools. It has been designed specifically to help participants to become more effective teachers by providing fresh ideas, renewing enthusiasm and increasing confidence.
The program offers:
- new ideas for how to teach reading and writing
- ways to interest and motivate students
- techniques for classroom behaviour management
- ideas on how to teach mixed abilities
- the use of games, songs and activities.
- lesson observations – time in a day school 'shadowing' teachers and observing lessons
- additional language-specific sessions, for example, Chinese, Korean, Arabic and Vietnamese
- progressive assessments from short reports and case studies to the production of resources, lesson plans and activities.
Other delivery methods
Registration is only available online. To register your interest in reserving a place on next year's course, click on the link.
It is important to be aware:
- you must be employed at one of the approved community language schools to qualify for placement in the course. Employment status will be checked and your enrolment cancelled if the information you provide is incorrect
- registering for the waiting list is not a guarantee of placement
- when the period for 2014 enrolments opens, you will need to complete a registration form
If you have any questions please contact the program manager:
T: 9036 5074