Office of Professional Learning
We provide professional development for the education and social work communities. Our presenters are leaders in their fields providing evidence-based content that is responsive to current issues, and to the needs of busy professionals. Our activities are endorsed by the NSW Institute of Teachers and the Australian Association of Social Workers and can count towards continuing professional development requirements.
New modules for schools and teachers
The Offices of Professional Learning and Professional Experience at the Faculty of Education and Social Work are pleased to announce that their joint venture offering professional learning modules for teachers that mentor the faculty's pre-service teacher education students will continue in 2012. The features of these modules are:
- teachers can redirect their professional experience stipend to cover the full cost of a module
- NSWIT endorsement as professional development for maintenance of accreditation at Professional Competence
- two completed modules in the same program qualify for credit transfer equivalent to a full MEd subject
- blended mode delivery (10 hours face-to-face classes at professional learning hub schools + 10 hours reading/online activities)
- each hub school is eligible for two free enrolments for every module they host onsite
- some modules are offered completely online for busy professionals to undertake learning at a time and place that suits them
- modules can be adapted to be delivered at staff development days and in other customised modes
- each module is designed so that teachers must take action with classroom and school practices as part of the assessment.
2012 Programs for Education and Social Work Professionals
|Theme||Program / Course||Designer/presenter||Blended Mode||Special event||On Campus||MEd Transfer||NSWIT||AASW|
|Literacy||Conversations About Texts
Modules 1 & 2
& Kathy Rushton
|Primary Curriculum||Children's Literature Modules 1 & 2||Bill Spence & Robyn Ewing||✔||✔||✔|
|Social Work||Professional Practice Supervision
Fridays 16 & 30 November
|Jude Irwin & Ros Giles||✔||✔||✔|
Mon to Wed - 19, 20 & 21 November
||Successful Learning Conference Monday 8 & Tuesday 9 October||David Evans||✔||✔|
|Children and Youth||Playing at Being Bad: Nurturing Hidden Resilience
Thursday 1 & Friday 2 November
Full details for each course or program listed will be available from this page shortly.
All blended mode and fully online programs are of 20 hours duration unless indicated otherwise. SDD = suitable for staff development days. Custom = suitable for customised program design. NSWIT / AASW = will be endorsed by these organisations for continuing professional development requirements.