Some software is available to Faculty staff and post-graduate students in the Faculty of Education and Social Work for research purposes. The installation of software is generally restricted to university-owned computers. Please note the licence conditions for any software you wish to access.
For SPSS, NVivo and any other software which is free from ICT:
- Staff can phone University ICT helpdesk services on ext 16000 for registration, authorisation and installation. Before phoning x16000, please check the software description and system requirements on the ICT website.
- Post-graduate students wishing to access software from ICT need to arrange with their supervisor to access the software on their behalf.
- SPSS: Because the SPSS licence agreement restricts the software to university equipment, students and staff who want to install this software on a personally-owned computer will need to purchase the software from the Co-op Bookshop. There are two types of licences for SPSS that can be purchased from the Co-op bookshop, the Student and the Graduate versions.
- The Student version is a cut down version of the program. It licenses the student for base, with restrictions on the number of case/variables that can be analysed (1500 cases, 50 variables). The licence is perpetual.
- The Graduate version licenses the student for base, regression and advanced models, with no case/variable limitations. It is a four year license.
NVivo for qualitative data analyses is available for current students on Windows computers.
EndNote bibliographic management software is available from the Library.
For other research software such as LISREL and MLwiN, or for advice regarding research software, please email your request to the Faculty Research Officer. Please note that budget arrangements for all new specialised research software needs to be incorporated into grant applications.
Some useful links: