Setup your computer
eLearning at the University of Sydney is managed through a Learning Management System (LMS). We are currently running Blackboard as the University LMS. Sydney eLearning also uses a web-based application called SEAMS to help you create, manage and archive your unit of study (UoS) websites.
The University LMS runs on a variety of platforms, on Mac, PC and Unix machines. To access the LMS you need to have a computer with access to a broadband or wireless connection, and a supported Internet browser. Access to the LMS is through UniKey only.
To access the LMS as a staff member you will need to meet all of these conditions:
- Have a university of Sydney UniKey
- Be enrolled in the SEAMS database as a staff member
- Be currently enrolled in a UoS website or eCommunity
Some UoS websites may use browser plug-ins to view Adobe Flash or video files, or to playback audio. You will be prompted when you need a plugin.
Browsers will generally automatically download any plug-in required by a particular page. A list of the most common downloads is available on the right hand side menu on this page.
Tablets and mobile phone access
There is an iPhone/iPad and Android app for phone and tablet access to the LMS. It currently has limited functionality for designers and instructors. You can monitor your UoS website and post messages but the Grade Centre and advanced uploading and editing tools do not have full functionality.
Your access through these mobile devices is similar to that of a student in the LMS.
- ICT has full instructions on downloading VPN and enabling wireless access at Ask Sydney.
- You cannot use your iPad to access to the LMS Grade Center at this time. This functionality may arrive in the future, but not at present.
- Users have had mixed success with responding to discussion postings on the iPad. If you cannot post, refresh the page and re-post. Remember to save your text first.