Student preview in the LMS
The student preview is Blackboard’s native student view in the October 2014 Service pack release. This replaces the older 'student view' tool.
Student preview enables you to switch from the 'instructor' role to the 'student' role so you can review the course content and validate the course behaviours, such as those that control the availability of course content or require a particular interaction from the student to be triggered. This feature has been enhanced in the latest Blackboard update to allow you to either keep or delete the student preview user and data.
Student preview account in brief
- Student preview account is created named 'unikey_previewuser' in the Grade Centre
- Enrols you in the current uos website
- Records all submissions and posts you make as your preview student
- Students can interact with your preview user account or you can interact with other instructors 'student preview' accounts
- Each instructors in the site has their own 'student preview' account
- The same student preview account will be used when you enter student preview mode in more than one website.
Turn on student preview
To access the student preview mode, click the 'eye-shaped' Student Preview icon, at the top-right corner of your browser page.
Student preview creates a student account, called the preview user account, logs you in as that student and enrolls you in the current uos website. When you enter student preview mode, the yellow student preview bar appears at the top of every page. The bar displays the text "Student Preview mode is ON" and has Settings and Exit Preview functions.
Student preview mode is enabled in the uos websites when you click on the icon.
Exit student preview
Click Exit Preview to exit the student preview.
If you leave a uos website without exiting from student preview, you will return to student preview when you return to that particular uos website.
When you exit the student preview you are prompted to
- Delete the preview user and all its associated data OR
- Keep the preview user and all its associated data
Should I delete or keep preview user and data?
Select 'Keep the preview user and all data' only if you need to see how student activity presents itself to you as an instructor (i.e. adaptive release criteria, grade centre calculations etc).
If you keep the data, the preview user account will appear in the grade centre and in any activity you have undertaken as that user. The student preview icon also changes to indicate that the preview user and its associated data has been kept.
Settings can be changed each time you enter preview user account mode via the student preview bar.