In 1880 the late John Henry Challis, Esq., formerly of Sydney, bequeathed residuary real and personal estate to the University, "to be applied for the benefit of that Institution in such manner as the governing body thereof shall direct".
From the income of the Fund a sum of £7,500 was applied for the payment of half the cost of the erection of a new Chemical Laboratory, and a further sum of £1,900 devoted to the erection of a marble statue of Mr Challis, which has been placed in the Great Hall, opposite to that of Mr W. C. Wentworth.
The income from the Fund is now devoted to the maintenance of eight Challis Chairs in the following subjects: English Literature, Philosophy, History, Law, International Law and Jurisprudence, Anatomy, Zoology and Civil Engineering, a Challis Readership in Law and eight Challis Lectureships in Law.
Taken from The University of Sydney Calendar, 1957(?), p 312.