Degree Programs in Civil Engineering

The Civil Engineering degree may be taken as a single degree or as a combined degree with other faculties. The heart of all degrees is a core of 144 cp covering the fundamentals of Civil Engineering.

Degree Programs: This document provides the most up-to-date and full information summarising the rules which govern your degree, and what electives are available to you.

The various degrees are listed below with links to the degree programs in Sydney Courses. General descriptions of all Civil degrees may be found here

Single Degrees

Specialisation Streams (more explanation Specialisation Streams)

All Civil degrees with or without a stream are the same until you start to chose your electives in Semester 2 of Year 3.

Combined Degrees

All combined Civil Degrees (except the combined Civil/Architecture degree) may be taken with any of the specialist streams shown above, however additional subjects will be required in most cases.


The regulations covering the degrees are contained in the Faculty Handbook and the Faculty Enrolment Rules

Choosing your subjects each semester

Civil Subjects: Follow your degree program in CUSP.

If you deviate from the CUSP program for any reason these rules must be followed:

  • Any failed units must be repeated at the next available opportunity, and you should defer other units.
  • You must complete lower year units before attempting higher year units. Earlier year units are a general prerequisite to later year units and must be done beforehand.
  • Do not overload to try to catch up unless you have an average of 65 or better.
  • If you have failed more than 24% of subjects in the past you should consider reducing your enrolment to 18cp per semester (this can be approved for international students)
  • You may consider part-time enrolment (12cp) depending on your personal circumstances.
  • There are Civil electives and additional (free) electives. Please see the Elective section to see if and when these are available in your degree.
  • If you have failed a unit you will probably have to add a semester or more to your degree. However some units are available in Summer or Winter school (some 1st year units and free electives).

For advice about subject selection see the Civil undergraduate advisor.

Combined degrees: If you have questions about which subjects to choose in the non-Civil side of your degree please seek academic advice in the specific faculty.


Please read the university enrolment information.

Faculty policy on subject selection

Please note that International Students have additional responsibilities.

First Year:
In first year you will be enrolled in both semesters in specific subjects on enrolment day depending on your degree. If you need to change any subjects you can do this in Sydney Student before classes commence - see below (this will be the case for some Arts and Science Combined degree students who were unsure what Arts or Science units to enrol in).

If you are seeking credit for prior studies please accept the standard enrolment subjects and complete your enrolment. After you have completed it you can make an application for credit in Sydney Student (you will need to attach a true scan of your official original transcript and subject descriptions). No more than 96 credit points may be given as prior credit, and prior studies must have occurred within the last 10 years: Section 6, Faculty Resolutions

Generally to change your enrolment you need to make changes yourself in Sydney Student. If you do not follow the subject enrolment rules you may be penalised or forcibly removed from a unit of study. If Sydney Student does not allow the changes you wish to make, you need to apply for "Special Permission" in Sydney Student or contact the Undergraduate Administrative Assistant, Cynthia Papangelis.

See the University calendar for the important dates concerning last days for enrolling in and dropping units of study. (DNF means "discontinue not fail" and carries no academic penalty but you still have to pay the fees for the subject.)

Other Years
You will be required to "pre-enrol" in the new year sometime towards the end of current year after your results are published. This enables the university to allocate timetable and classes to students. You can still change your enrolment up until the day classes begin but you will have less chance of getting favourable timetable and tutorial allocations.

Changing Your Enrolment

Following this procedure will make changes of enrolment quicker and reduce waiting times for all students. Be aware of the last day for adding new units, HECS Census date or last day for DNF.

  1. The fastest and easiest way is to vary your enrolment is online in Sydney Student. Most enrolment changes can be done in this way.
  2. In complex cases, you may need to see Cynthia Papangelis, the Undergraduate Student Administrative Advisor, or seek advice and approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Please bring along any relevant information, and have a thought about what units of study you want to do.