Staff Student Liaison Committee - Meeting Notes
Notes from School of Civil Engineering Student Staff Liaison Committee Meeting Wednesday 29 April 2009 1 pm
Afida Md Yusof
Prof Kim Ramussen
Dr Tim Wilkinson
Dr Li Liu
Dr Abbas El-zein
A/Prof David Airey
1. Welcome: DA welcomed all members.
2. Matters arising from last meeting in September 2008
* Increased number of seats installed by Library
* New civil drop in tutor
Old Engineering Library
* KR suggests SUCE write to the Dean with Suggestions
Replacement photocopier in the precinct
* TW still trying (slowly!)
School L&T committee
* DA called for a student volunteer
* One prominent message was "poor teachers"
3. Student issues
* Can topic be made available near the end of Sem 2
* Can 3rd year students see WebCT site?
* What options are there for starting early?
* The "first in first served" method is not the best.
* Possible discussion board on WebCT to help students find groups
* SHould we have a thesis broefing in October for the next year students
Enrolment tables on website
* "Grouping" of units to help combined students with selection
Engineering Construction (Year 2 & 4)
* WebCT sites hard to navigate
* TW to approach RW
* Co-ordination hard to achieve
* Civil maintains an internal timetable
* Assignments should have reasonable workload and time. That should negate many clah problems
* Unsure about work experience due dates
* Lectures need to value add content
* More worked examples (Geotech 4th year)
* Provide inspiration
* Water resources/wind vibrations - good!
* Project based/holistic approach
* Get early years to listen to 3rd/4th years!
Meeting closed at 2.05 pm