Staff Student Liaison Committee - Meeting Notes
Notes from School of Civil Engineering Student Staff Liaison Committee Meeting Tuesday 8 September 2009 1 pm
Afida Md Yusof
Prof Kim Ramussen
Dr Tim Wilkinson
Dr Li Liu
Dr Abbas El-zein
A/Prof David Airey
1. Welcome: DA welcomed all members.
2. Matters arising from last meeting in April
* Still crowded
Replacement photocopier in the precinct
* TW still trying (slowly!)
Thesis topics for next year online
* TW to see if WebCT will work, or if just easier to send around by email
* Postscript – 2009 topics sent by email to all students – invited to talks and posters
* TW circulated what had been gathered to date
3. Student issues
* Staffing problems in this course in recent years had been as a result of staff shortages
* Replacement lecturer found at short notice following student concerns raised early in the semester
* What options are there for starting early?
Civil Engineering design
* Real life problems got a big tick.
* Lack of feedback or a model solution made it hard to establish what was required
* Lack of briefing for students
* TW referred to webpage www.civil.usyd.edu.au/courses/civl4008
* Small number of students seemed to have experience lined up
Communication with students
* TW asked about what is best way to get info across to students – eg some info had been given to students on work experience.
* Messages in lectures, v emails etc
* Students have a responsibility to pay attention to notices when given
Timetable & courses
* Steel 2 & concrete 2 in the same semester is tough (this is changing 2010)
* Engineering Disciplines – is it worthwhile?
Meeting closed at 2.05 pm