Civil Engineering Foundation Events
The Civil Engineering Foundation holds a number of events throughout the year with the specific aim of bringing industry and the university together at a number of levels. These may include lectures, seminars, courses, roundtables, workshops, fairs and colloquiums. In some cases these may be combined with a networking lunch/dinner. The Foundation organises these events directly or in some cases in conjunction with Engineering Sydney (http://www.eng.usyd.edu.au/engineeringsydney), the Faculty of Engineering & IT’s industry network organisation.
Specific events may include:
Engineering Sydney holds its annual Engineering and Information Technologies Careers Fair at the Seymour Centre in March each year.
In 2013 this will be on Thursday 14 March, between 12 noon and 3pm.
The Careers Fair presents a unique forum for organisations to recruit high quality students who specialise in engineering, project management and information technologies. It brings students and employers together to discuss graduate employment, vacation placements and scholarship opportunities.
In 2012 more than 50 organisations exhibited at the fair making it one of the largest events of its kind in Australia.
For more information go to http://www.eng.usyd.edu.au/engineeringsydney/careersfair/index.shtml
The Annual General Meeting of the Foundation is held in the first quarter of each year and is usually followed by an informal dinner with an appropriate guest speaker.
In 2013, this event is proposed for Wednesday 27 March, commencing at 6pm.
The dinner provides an enjoyable environment for members and guests to mingle with staff members of the School on an informal basis and so to enhance the potential for interaction between academia and industry.
The Foundation’s joint industry/university seminars are an opportunity for industry to build on the work of the School and for practitioners to share their experiences with the School and industry.
Recent seminars have included:
- A half-day seminar on “Geomechanics of Granular Materials, New theories – Better Practice” held on 14 July 2011. Principal speakers were Emeritus Professor Harry Poulos from Coffey and Associate Professor Itai Einav from the School with cameo presentations by two research students, Yahya Nahzat and Benjy Marks, on some relevant current research.
- A one-day seminar on “Abnormal Loads and Progressive Collapse” held on 13 June 2012. Principal speaker was Professor Bruce Ellingwood from Georgia Tech in the USA together with Dr Hao Zhang from the School and Ms Vivianne Kollevris from Arup.
Proposals for seminars in 2013 are currently under consideration. Details are to be advised.
From time to time, the Foundation takes advantage of visiting experts to present public lectures of interest. On 8 May 2012, the Foundation hosted a fascinating lecture on “High Speed Rail” by Professor Andrew McNaughton, Vice Chairman of the EU Transport Group to over 130 members of the University, industry and the general public.
Since 2009, the Governor's Lecture series has provided a unique opportunity for our Governor Members to present the work of their organisations to our students, staff and the Foundation community generally.
To date, the Governor's lectures have been:
- 21 May 2009, Dr Kourosh Kayvani, Principal of AURECON on "Sustainable Tall Building Structures"
- 6 August 2009, Peter Eccleston, Principal of GHD on "Drought Response/Environmental Catastrophe - Is Desalinatino Worth its Salt?"
- 20 May 2010, John Kindrachuk, Principal Architect of LEND LEASE design on "Form Follows Sustainable Design"
- 16 September 2010, Peter MacDonald, principal of ARUP on "Technology in Building Practice"
- 1 June 2011, Michael Bushby, Chief Executive of RTA on the challenges and opportunities in the RTA
- 23 August 2012, David Hudson, Executive General Manager, Risk Management, Leighton Holdings on “Who said underground infrastructure is boring?”
In 2013, Governor's Lectures are proposed for Thursday 16 May and Thursday 15 August, commencing at 6pm. Details to be advised.
The annual Research Conversazione is hosted by Engineering Sydney and held in late October/early November throughout the Faculty of Engineering and IT.
The Conversazione brings industry and the Faculty of Engineering together, giving fourth year and postgraduate students the opportunity to showcase their research and explore employment opportunities. Students are invited to display posters outlining their research activities. Industry guests are invited to quiz students about their research and judge the posters, the best posters are then awarded prizes.
The Research Conversazione has a long history having been run for nearly two decades. It was developed to allow our students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, to discuss the results of their research with industry. It is a showcase, but in reality it is more than that, it is an interaction allowing for free flowing dialogue which is reflected in the title Conversazione.
In 2013, this event is proposed for Friday 1 November, commencing at 12 noon.
For more information, go to http://www.eng.usyd.edu.au/engineeringsydney/conversazione/index.shtml