BA Dip Ed (Macquarie) BSc (UTS) PhD (Sydney)
School of Civil Engineering, Room 409
Phone: +61 2 9351 2127
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
About Dr Cafe
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics and Statistics from Macquarie University, Sydney, with the Diploma of Education.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Materials Science with 1st class honours from University of Technology, Sydney. Honours Thesis in magnetism: ”The Stress dependence of Barkhausen Noise in Mild Steel”.
Ph.D. degree from the Sydney University School of Chemistry in Molecular Electronics Thesis title “Towards reliable contacts of molecular electronic devices to gold electrodes”.
Research interests & current/recent research projects
The use of on-line resources for preparation of students for laboratory classes.
- “Chemisorbed and physisorbed structures for 1,10-phenanthroline and dipyrido[3,2-a : 2 ',3 '-c]phenazine on au(111)” Cafe, PF; Larsen, AG; Yang, WR; Bilic, A; Blake, IM; Crossley, MJ; Zhang, JD; Wackerbarth, H; Ulstrup, J; Reimers, JR JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C, ISSN 1932-7447, 11/2007, Volume 111, Issue 46, pp. 17285 – 17296.
- "The use of online resources to support laboratory classes in soil mechanics” D.W. Airey, P. Cafe & H. Drury Shaking the Foundations of Geo-engineering Education Conference, Galway, July 4-6, 2012; and publication of the same name (Taylor & Francis Ltd) ISBN: 9780415621274
- Conference Poster Presentation: “Adsorption of 1,10-phenanthroline on the gold [1,1,1] surface” at:
- Faraday Discuss., 2006, 131 “MOLECULAR WIRES AND NANOSCALE CONDUCTORS”, 1 and
- Pacifichem 2005, Hawaii, USA, and
- Connect 2005 - Chemical Challenges for the 21st Century, Sydney, Convention Centre, Darling Harbour, Sydney, 3 - 7 July 2005
Teaching and Learning
- ENGG1802 Engineering Mechanics (Summer School)
- Communications in Professional Engineering (unit co-ordinator)
- Director of Undergraduate Studies