AM, FTSE, FIEAust, CP Eng, Hon FSSS, GAICD
BSc, BE, PhD, DEng
Centre for Advanced Structural Engineering
School of Civil Engineering, J05
Phone: +61 2 9660 7678
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Professor Gregory Hancock is an Emeritus Professor. He was formerly Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and IT, University of Sydney, from May 2004 to August 2009. He was also Bluescope Steel (formerly BHP Steel) Professor of Steel Structures in the Department of Civil Engineering, from 1990 to 2009. He was Director then Chairman of the Centre for Advanced Structural Engineering in the University of Sydney from 1988 to 2003.
His research interests are in the area of cold-formed steel structures and he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Engineering in 2003 by the University for a collection of 69 papers on this subject. He is a board member of the Australian Steel Institute, a member of the American Iron and Steel Institute Specification Committee (only non-North American member), and chairs the Standards Australia committee on cold-formed steel structures and is a member of 5 other Standards Australia committees in structural engineering. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia, and the Singapore Structural Steel Society. He was elected as a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Science and Engineering in 2004.
He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Constructional Steel Research published in London, as well the Journal of Advances in Structural Engineering (Hong Kong).
He is the author of “Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structures to AS/NZS 4600:2005” published by the Australian Steel Institute in 2007, and joint author of “Cold-Formed Steel Structures to the AISI Specification” (Hancock, Murray and Ellifritt) published by Marcel Dekker, New York in 2001.
Key Career Publications
- Cold-Formed Tubular Members and Connections, Structural Behaviour and Design,(XL Zhao, T.Wilkinson, GJ Hancock) Elsevier, London, 2005
- Cold-Formed Steel Structures to the AISI Specification, New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc, 2001, (398 pp) (GJ Hancock, TM Murray and DS Ellifritt)
- Design of Cold Formed Steel Structures, 4th Edition, Australian Steel Institute, Sydney, 2007.
- "Local, Distortional and Lateral Buckling of I Beams", Journal of the Structural Division, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 104, No. ST11, Nov 1978, pp 1787 1798 (GJ Hancock).
- "Distortional Buckling Formulae for Thin Walled Channel Columns", Journal of Structural Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol 113, No 5, May 1987 (SCW Lau and GJ Hancock).
- "Compression Tests of Cold-Reduced High Strength Steel Channel Columns”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 130, No12, 2004,pp 1954 – 1963 (D Yang and GJ Hancock)
- "Stability and Ductility of Thin High Strength G550 Steel Members and Connections”, Thin-Walled structures, Vol 41. No 2-3, 2003, pp 149-166 (CA Rogers, D Yang and GJ Hancock)
- "Cold-Formed Steel Structures”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol 59, No 4, 2003, pp 473-487 (G Hancock)
- "Recent Research on Cold-Formed Tubular Structures”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol 46, No 1-3, 1998, paper No 229, pp 474-475 (XL Zhao and GJ Hancock)
- "Experimental Study of Complex High Strength Cold-Formed Cross-Shaped Steel Section”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 134, No8, 2004,pp 13221333 (DCY Yap and GJ Hancock)
- "Direct Strength Design of Cold-Formed Purlins”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 135, No3, 2004,pp 229-238 (CH Pham and GJ Hancock)
Membership of Learned Societies
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Member of the Structural Stability Research Council, USA
- Member, Australian Steel Institute
Honorary Fellow, Singapore Structural Steel Society
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Science and Engineering
International Standards Committees
- 2003 - 2004 Member, International Advisory Committee Hong Kong, Code of Practice for the Structural Use of Steel (Limit State Approach)
- Jul 1994-present Member of Subcommittees 24 (Flexural Members), 30 (Education) of American Iron and Steel Institute Specification Committee
- Feb 1994-present Member of Subcommittees 3 (Connections), 10 (Elements), 22 (Compression Members) and 24 (Flexural Members) of American Iron and Steel Institute Specification Committee
- July 1993-present Member of Specification Committee of American Iron and Steel Institute
Australian Standards Committees
- 1998-present Member, Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand, Structures Joint Standards Coordination Group
- Sep 1997-present Member, Subcommittee BD/23, Steel Structures, Standards Association of Australia
- Dec 1995-present Chairman, Committee BD/82, Cold-Formed Steel Structures, Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand
- Dec 1993-present Member of Committee BD/82, Cold-Formed Steel Structures, Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand
- Jan 1990-Dec 1992 Member of Committee BD/67, Steel Framed Housing, Standards Association of Australia
- Nov 1988 Dec 1992 Member of Committee BD/62, Steel Storage Racks, Standards Association of Australia
- Sep 1984-Dec 1988 Member of Committee BD/1/4, Cold Formed Steel Structures Code Committee, Standards Association of Australia
- Sep 1983 present Member of Committee BD/1, Steel Structures Code Committee, Standards Association of Australia