Director, Ocean Technology Group
Envrionmental Fluids/Ocean Technology Group
School of Civil Engineering
Phone: +61 2 9351 4585
Fax: +61 2 9351 4584
Research interests & current/recent research projects
Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Climate Change, Innovation, Ocean Engineering.
- ARC Discovery grant (with JCU): Impacts of river nutrients on the Great Barrier Reef Lagoon.
- Ocean nourishment
- Jones, I.S.F., Satellite remote sensing of the oceanic environment. (together with Y. Sugimori & R. W. Stewart) Seibutsu Kenkyusha, Tokyo, pp 528, 1993.
- Jones, I.S.F., Wind stress over the ocean. (together with Y Toba) Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Jones, I.S.F., Aerodynamic Noise Dependent on Mean Shear. J. Fluid Mech., 33, pp.65-72 (1968).
- Jones, I.S.F., Relative Diffusion as Related to Quasi-Periodic Current Structures. J. Phys. Ocean., 1, 224-232 (1971) (together with B.C. Kenney).
- Jones, I.S.F., The Scaling of Velocity Fluctuations in the Ocean Mixed Layer. J. Geophys. Res., 82, p.1392 (1977) (together with B.C. Kenney).
- Jones, I.S.F., Some Statistics of the Temperature Profile through the Base of the Ocean Mixed Layer. Deep Sea Research, 32, p.1255 (1985).
- Jones, I.S.F., Wavenumber Spectra of Short Gravity Waves. J. Fluid Mech., 198, p.321 (1989) (together with M.L. Banner and J.C. Trinder).
- Jones, I.S.F., The Wave Dependence of Sea-Surface Wind Stress. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 20, p. 705 (1990) (together with Y. Toba, N. Iida, H. Kawamura, N. Ebuchi).
- Jones, I.S.F., The Influence of Sea State on Atmospheric Drag. Eos, 73, 306-307 (1992) (together with Y. Toba).
- Jones, I.S.F., Enhanced Carbon Dioxide Uptake by the World’s Oceans. Energy Conversion & Management, 37, 1049-1052 (1996).
- Jones, I S F and H E Young. The potential of the ocean for the management of global warming. Int. J. Global Warming, 1, 43-56, 2008
Teaching and Learning
- ENGG5601 Greenhouse Gas Mitigation
- CIVL5851, CIVL5852 Climate Change Project
- CIVL5353 Oceanography and Meteorology
- CIVL5853 Seminars
- CIVL5854, CIVL5855 Research Project
Professional Service and Memberships
- American Geophysical Union
- Oceanographic Society of Japan
- Institution of Engineers, Australia.
- Australian Metoerology and Oceanography Society
- Journal of Ocean Technology
- International Journal of Global Warming
- Journal of Marine Science and Technology