Dr Kourosh Kayvani is the Global Director of Excellence & Expertise at Aurecon.
With a career spanning over 25 years, Kourosh has played key roles in the design and delivery of many innovative, complex and award winning projects across the globe. His project portfolio includes Wembley Stadium in London, Sydney Olympics Hockey Stadium in Sydney, Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, and Liberty Place and 5 Martin Place in Sydney, to name a just few.
Kourosh is the Laureate of the IABSE Prize awarded by the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering for his contribution to design of long span structures world-wide. He was also named one of the Top 100 most influential engineers by Engineers Australia in 2009.
Kourosh is currently:
- a Fellow of Engineers Australia
- the Editor-in-Chief of Case Studies in Structural Engineering, an Elsevier journal
- a Director of Australian Steel Institute
- the President of Lightweight Structures Association of Australasia
Consulting & research interests
- Tall Buildings
- Wind Engineering
- Longspan & Lightweight Structures
- Structural Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering
- Conceptual Structural Design
- "Performance-Based Seismic Design of Buildings – State of Practice in Australia and New Zealand", Seismic Workshop, Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) World Congress, Shanghai, China, September 2012.
- "Performance-based Design of Tall and Longspan Structures", IABSE-IASS Symposium, 20-23 September, 2011, London, UK.
- "Realising the Dream -Performance-based Design", The Structural Engineer, IStructE, UK, May 2011.
- "Application of Computational Mechanics in Design of Tall Buildings" Invited Paper, SEMC 2010, Cape Town, , South Africa, 6-8 September 2010, Mechanics and Computation Advances and Trends in Structural Engineering, page 102.
- "Application of Nonlinear FEA in Design of Steel Connections – a practising engineers perspective." IABSE-FIP conference, 3-5 May 2010, Cavtat-Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- "Engineering the Arch and Roof of Wembley Stadium." Structures Congress 09, Austin, USA, 31 April - 2 May 2009.
- "Structural Engineering Solutions for Tall Buildings in Australia." CIMS2008, Gregory J Hancock Symposium, Sydney, Australia, June 2008.
- "Are we winning the battle of computerised structural modelling." Editorial. Structural Engineering International, Vol 17, No 1, February 2007, page 3.
- “Capacity of steel columns with excessive crookedness.” The Structural Engineer, IStructE, UK, April 2006. (co-authored)
- "Structural Engineering for Impact and Blast using Nonlinear FEA". Proceeding IABSE Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2005. (co-authored)
- "Advances in Long-span Steel Roof Structures" Annual Lecture. Singapore Structural Steel Society. Singapore, November 2003.
- “Analysis and design of cable supported roof structures.” Keynote Address. Proc. Advances in Structures (ASSCCA’03), Sydney, Australia, June 2003.
- “Structural design of Sydney’s tallest residential building.” Proc. Advances in Structures (ASSCCA’03), Sydney, Australia, June 2003. (co-authored)
- “Seismic engineering for Replacement Research Reactor in Australia.” Proc. Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Christchurch, New Zealand, February 2003. (co-authored)
- "Lightweight Architecture – the Structure Exposed". LSAA2002 Conference, Melbourne, Australia, November 2002, (Editor).
- “Cable stayed grandstand roofs for the 2000 Olympics.” Proc. Lightweight Structures Conference (LSA’98), Sydney, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 57-65, 1998. (co-authored)
- “Recent lightweight structures in steel and glass in Australia.” Proc. Lightweight Structures Conference (LSA’98), Sydney, Vol. 1, pp. 219-228, 1998. (co-authored)
- "Influence of local inertia on seismic response of offshore jackets." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 1, January 1997, pp. 52-61. (co-authored)
- "Hysteretic modelling of tubular members and offshore platforms." Engineering Structures, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 93-101, 1996. (co-authored)
- "A modelling approach for three dimensional dynamic analysis of offshore jackets." Proc. 14th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (14ACMSM), Hobart, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 88-93, 1995. (co-authored)