BSc, MEngSc, PhD, MIEAust, CPEng, MIABSE, MIASS
School of Civil Engineering
Kourosh is a Principal of Connell Wagner and the leader of its Structural Group in NSW and ACT. He has 20 years experience in structural engineering of a wide range of building and infrastructure projects.
Kourosh has had leading roles in the design of major sports structures including Wembley Stadium (Roof and Arch) in London, and State Hockey Centre in Sydney. He has been involved in the design of many tall buildings in Australia, South East Asia and the Middle East including a 510m building currently under construction in Qatar. He has also designed many unusual structures under unusual loading conditions including ANSTO OPAL reactor at Lucas Height, NSW.
Kourosh is the Laureate of the 2006 IABSE Prize awarded by the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering for his “contribution to advanced analysis and innovative design of major long span structures worldwide.”
Kourosh is a member of the Australian Standard committees for Concrete Structures (AS3600) and Wind Loads (AS1170.2)
He is the President of Lightweight Structures Association of Australasia (LSAA) and is on the Management Board of the Association of Consulting Structural Engineers, NSW (ACSE).
Consulting & research interests
- Long-span structures
- Sustainable structural design
- Cable structures
- Tall buildings
- Conceptual design
- Structural dynamics and earthquake engineering.
- Engineering for blast and impact
- Applied computational mechanics
- Forensic engineering
Area of activity within the school
- Teaching “Analysis and Design of Cable Structures” (as part of “CIVL5265 -Advanced Stability and Structural Analysis”)
- Co-supervision of research students
- Governor and vice-president of Civil Engineering Foundation
- Advisory on curriculum development
- "Structural Engineering Solutions for Tall Buildings in Australia." CIMS2008, Gregory J Hancock Symposium, Sydney, Australia, June 2008.
- "Are we winning the battle of computerised structural modelling." Editorial. Structural Engineering International, Vol 17, No 1, February 2007, page 3.
- “Capacity of steel columns with excessive crookedness.” The Structural Engineer, IStructE, UK, April 2006. (co-authored)
- "Structural Engineering for Impact and Blast using Nonlinear FEA". Proceeding IABSE Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2005. (co-authored)
- "Advances in Long-span Steel Roof Structures" Annual Lecture. Singapore Structural Steel Society. Singapore, November 2003.
- “Analysis and design of cable supported roof structures.” Keynote Address. Proc. Advances in Structures (ASSCCA’03), Sydney, Australia, June 2003.
- “Structural design of Sydney’s tallest residential building.” Proc. Advances in Structures (ASSCCA’03), Sydney, Australia, June 2003. (co-authored)
- “Seismic engineering for Replacement Research Reactor in Australia.” Proc. Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Christchurch, New Zealand, February 2003. (co-authored)
- "Lightweight Architecture – the Structure Exposed". LSAA2002 Conference, Melbourne, Australia, November 2002, (Editor).
- “Cable stayed grandstand roofs for the 2000 Olympics.” Proc. Lightweight Structures Conference (LSA’98), Sydney, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 57-65, 1998. (co-authored)
- “Recent lightweight structures in steel and glass in Australia.” Proc. Lightweight Structures Conference (LSA’98), Sydney, Vol. 1, pp. 219-228, 1998. (co-authored)
- "Influence of local inertia on seismic response of offshore jackets." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 1, January 1997, pp. 52-61. (co-authored)
- "Hysteretic modelling of tubular members and offshore platforms." Engineering Structures, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 93-101, 1996. (co-authored)
- "A modelling approach for three dimensional dynamic analysis of offshore jackets." Proc. 14th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (14ACMSM), Hobart, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 88-93, 1995. (co-authored)