Farzad Meysami Azad
Postgraduate Research Student
School of Civil Engineering, Room 101
Phone: +61 2 9351 2145
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Research project - Simulation of thermally induced desiccation cracking of Geosynthetic Clay Liners in landfills
Supervisor: Dr Abbas El-Zein
Associate Supervisor: A/Prof David Airey
The goal of the thesis is to simulate thermally induced desiccation cracking of GCLs in order to develop design recommendations to help reduce the risk of cracking. The project’s original contribution to the literature consists of combining a fully-coupled thermal-hydrological-mechanical model with a fracture initiation and development model and the validation of the tool through a set of experiments.
In summary, the project will help explain the complex behavior of modern containment systems under nonisothermal condition and will increase environmental protection. It will hopefully allow the design of landfill liners with minimum desiccation risk and hence help improve the long term performance of the liner system.
- Saeed-Reza Sabbagh-Yazdi, Mastorakis N E, Meysami F and Namazi-Saleh 2008 ”2D Galerkin finite volume solution of steady inviscid / viscous / turbulent artificial compressible flow on triangular meshes" International Journal of Computers, Issue 1, Vol.2, 39-46.
- Saeed-Reza Sabbagh-Yazdi, Mehdi Torbati, Farzad Meysami Azad and Haghighi Bahman, 2007. ”Computer Simulation of Changes in the Wind Pressure Due to Cooling Towers-Buildings Interference”, WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on MATHEMATICS, Issue 1, Volume 6, January 2007.
- Saeed-Reza Sabbagh-Yazdi, Farzad Meysami Azad and Nikos E.Mastorakis 2007. “Simulation of wind pressure on circular cylinder at Super-Critical Reynolds Number”, Proceeding of the 11th WSEAS International Conference on APPLIED MATHEMATICS, Dallas, Texas, USA, March 22-24, 2007.
- Sabbagh Yazdi, S. R., Meysami, F. and Mastorakis N. E., “Wind flow pressure load simulation around storage tanks using SGS turbulent model”, International Journal of Mechanics, Issue 2, Vol.1, 2007.
- Sabbagh Yazdi, Saeed Reza and Meysami Azad, Farzad., 2006. “3D Simulation of Wind Flow against a Wall Using a Cell Vertex Finite Volume Solver “,6th International Conference on Computational and Mathematical Method in Science and Engineering (CMMSE 2006), Madrid, Spain, September 20-23, 2006.
Learning and teaching
- CIVL3613 Coastal Engineering
- CIVL3612 Fluids and Environmental Engineering
- CIVL2410 Soil Mechanics