BBCM (Hons) (UNSW), PhD (HK PolyU)
School of Civil Engineering, Room 314
Phone: +61 2 9351 2122
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Bee started in Singapore construction firms as a Quantity Surveyor. In 2004, Bee obtained her bachelor degree in Building Construction Management from UNSW. She then moved to Hong Kong for her PhD studies in the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Bee obtained her PhD degree in September 2007 and started as a Research Fellow in the National University of Singapore before joining the USYD.
Research interests & current/recent research projects
Bee's main research area is in construction management and economics. With the focus on competition in the construction industry, she has been active in applying (i) statistical techniques to model contractors’ bidding behaviour, and (ii) experimental designs to examine contractors’ bidding behaviour via active manipulation of bidding variables. Her research interests include:
- Construction contract bidding
- Experimental research in construction economics
- Construction procurement strategies
- Quantitative methods in construction research
- Green educational facilities
- Disaster management in the built environment
Bee is currently supervising two PhD students in the area of construction management and economics. Her current research projects include:
- Learning and information feedback in construction bidding
- Modelling the effect of construction demand in construction bidding
- Disaster management in the built environment: a stakeholder approach
- Communication skills of civil engineering students and graduates
- Game-based teaching in project management courses
Scholarly book chapters:
- Oo BL (2011), Theory testing in building economics research: an experimental approach, in G DeValence (ed), Modern Construction Economics: Theory and Application, Spon Press, London, p. 154-170.
Refereed journal articles:
- Lim BTH and Oo BL (2011), A review of Singapore contractors’ attitudes to environmental sustainability, Architectural Science Review, forthcoming issue 54.3.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Runeson G (2010), Competitor analysis in construction bidding using mixed model, Construction Management and Economics, 28(12), p. 1321-1329.
- Lim BTH, Oo BL and Ling FYY (2010), The survival strategies for Singapore contractors in prolonged recession, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 17(4), p. 387-403.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Lo HP (2010), Modelling the heterogeneity in contractors’ mark-up behaviour, Journal of Construction, Engineering and Management ASCE, 136(7), p. 720-729.
- Soo A and Oo BL (2010), The effect of information feedback in construction bidding, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, 10(1/2), p. 65-75.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Lo HP (2008), A heterogeneous approach to modelling the contractors’ decision to bid, Journal of Construction, Engineering and Management ASCE, 134(10), p. 766-775.
- Oo BL and Drew D (2008), Comparing contractors’ decision to bid in different market environments, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, 8(1), p. 1-10.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Lo HP (2008), A comparison of contractors’ decision to bid behaviour according to different market environments, International Journal of Project Management, 26(4), p. 439-447.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Lo HP (2007), Applying a random-coefficients logistic model to contractors’ decision to bid, Construction Management and Economics, 25(4), p. 387-398.
- Oo BL, Drew D and Lo HP (2007), Modelling contractors’ mark-up behaviour in different construction markets, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 14(5), p. 447-462.
Teaching and Learning
- CIVL3805 Project Scope, Time and Cost Management
CIVL4814 Project Procurement and Tendering
School & University Service
Professional Service and Memberships
Reviewer for International Refereed Journals:
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, ISSN 0733-9364.
- Automation in Construction, Elsevier, ISSN 0926-5805.
- Construction Management and Economics, Routledge, ISSN 0144-6193.
- Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, Penerbit USM and CIB W107, ISSN 1823-6499.
Technical Committee for Conference:
- The Fourth International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management (ICCEPM), 2011, Sydney, Australia.