BE (Hons) ME (Cant.) PhD (McGill)
Director, Centre for Advanced Structural Engineering
Pro-Head (Services and OHSRM)
Exchange Student Advisor
Practical Experience Advisor
Academic Manager, Structures Laboratories and Workshop
School of Civil Engineering, Room 315
Phone: +61 2 9351 2121
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Structural reliability assessment; risk-based decision making; reliability-based assessments of existing structures; load modelling for bridges; strength of glass; safety of glass under impact loading; fundamental mechanisms of concrete creep and shrinkage; modelling of creep and shrinkage effects for concrete structures
- Reid, S.G., 'Reliability-Based Design Strengths Based on Prototype Testing with Small Sample Sizes', Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete IV, J.F. Hajjar et al, eds, ASCE, 2002, pp. 925-936.
- Reid, S.G., 'Specification of Design Criteria Based on Probabilistic Measures of Design Performance', Structural Safety, Vol. 24, No. 2-4, April – October 2002, pp. 333-345.
- Reid, S.G., and Coker, D., ‘Modelling of Non-Linear Time-Dependent Effects of Creep and Shrinkage in Prestressed Concrete Bridges’, Proceedings of the First fib Congress, Osaka, Japan, October 2002, Japan Prestressed Concrete Engineering Association, Disk C, Session 13, pp. 33-42.
- Sexsmith, R.G., and Reid, S.G., ‘Safety Factors for Bridge Falsework’, Structural Safety, Vol. 25, No. 2, April 2003, pp. 227-243.
- Reid, S.G., ‘Structural Reliability Assessments for Risk Management during Repair of Tempe Bridge’, Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, A. Der Kiureghian, S. Madanat and J.M. Pestana, eds, (Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, San Francisco, California, USA, 6-9 July 2003), Millpress, 2003, pp. 843-848.
- Reid, S.G., ‘Uncertain Probability Estimates and an Entropy-Based Measure of Uncertainty’, Reliability and Optimisation of Structural Systems, Proceedings of the 11th IFIP WG7.5 Conference on Reliability and Optimisation of Structural Systems, Banff, Alberta, Canada, 2-5 November 2003, M.Maes and L.Huyse, eds, Taylor and Francis Group, London, 2004, pp. 79-86.
- Reid, S.G., ‘Reliability-Based Load-Rating of Existing Bridges’, Proceedings of the Austroads 2004 Bridge Conference, Hobart, 19-21 May 2004, Austroads Pub. No. AP/G79/04, 2004.
- Reid, S.G., ‘Australian Standard specification for prototype load-testing: a specification for wasted effort’, Developments in Mechanics of Structures and Materials, Proceedings of the 18th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials, Perth, Australia 1-3 December 2004, A.J.Deeks and H.Hao, eds, A.A.Balkema, Leiden (Taylor and Francis Group), 2005, pp. 697-702.
- Reid, S.G., “Calibration of prototype load-testing for reliability-based design’, ICOSSAR, June 2005
- Reid, S.G., “Reliability-Based Fatigue Assessment of Welded Connections”, ASEC, September 2005
- Reid, S.G., ‘Reliability-based load-rating procedure for existing bridges’, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, in press.
Learning and Teaching Duties
- CIVL2511 Instrumentation & Measurement
- CIVL3205 Concrete Structures 1
- CIVL4008 Practical Experience
- CIVL4240 Concrete Structures 2
- CIVL5256 Concrete Structures: Serviceability and Strength
Departmental & University Service
- Director, Centre for Advanced Structural Engineering
- Pro-HOD (Services and OHSRM)
- Engineering Sydney Board Member
- academic manager of structural engineering laboratories and workshop
- exchange student advisor
Professional Service and Memberships
- Member, Standards Australia Committee BD007, Glass in Buildings
- Chair, BD007-1, Strength of Glass
- Member, Standards Australia Committee CE026, Reinforced Concrete Box Culverts
- Member, Editorial Board, Structural Safety, Elsevier
- Book Review Editor
- Executive committee member, International Forum for Engineering Decision-Making (IFED)