BE (Tongji) ME (Tongji) PhD (Missouri-Columbia)
School of Civil Engineering, Room 406
Phone: +61 2 9351 2126
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Luming received his Bachelor's and Master's degrees from Tongji University in China and his Ph.D. degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia in USA. He was a structural engineer (building structures design) in Shanghai Research Institute of Building Sciences, China, from April 1997 to August 1999. Prior to joining Monash University as Lecturer in January 2006, he was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He joins us at The University of Sydney as Senior Lecturer in July 2008.
Research interests & current/recent research projects
Luming’s research is mainly focused on the characterization, modelling and simulation of material and structural failure under extreme loading conditions. He is working on two ARC Centre of Excellence for Design in Light Metals projects: 1. Low density structures with high impact resistance. 2. Design of nano-layered metallic systems for functional applications. He is leading an ARC LIEF project to develop a split Hopkinson bar facility for characterizing the dynamic properties of materials under high strain rates (up to 10^4 /s). He is also studying microstructurally small fatigue crack growth in metals using crystal plasticity. His research interests include:
- Computational mechanics
- Nano-mechanics and materials
- Molecular dynamics
- Impact engineering
- High strain rate testing
- Crystal plasticity
A complete list of his ISI Web of Knowledge indexed publication can be found at http://www.researcherid.com/rid/D-1581-2010.
- Yang, W., Qu, L., Zheng, R., Liu, Z., Ratinac, K.R., Shen, L., Yu, D., Yang, L., Barrow, C.J., Ringer, S.P., Dai, L. and Braet, F., Self-Assembly of Gold Nanowires along Carbon Nanotubes for Ultrahigh-Aspect-Ratio Hybrids, Chemistry of Materials, 23(11), 2760–2765, 2011.
- Ma, M., Shen, L., Sheridan, J., Liu, J.Z., Chen, C. and Zheng, Q. Friction of Water Slipping in Carbon Nanotubes, Physical Review E, 83(3), 036316, 2011.
- Shen, L. Molecular Dynamics Study of Dynamic Responses of Glassy Silica under Shock Impact, CMC- Computers, Materials, & Continua, 15(3), 241-260, 2010.
- Ma, M.D., Liu, J.Z, Wang, L., Shen, L., Xie, L., Wei, F., Zhu, J., Gong, Q., Liang, J. and Zheng, Q. Reversible High-Pressure Carbon Nanotube Extruder, Physical Review B, 81, 235420, 2010.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., A Numerical Study of the Imperfection Effect on Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Properties under Different Loading Paths and Temperatures, Composites Science and Technology, 69(13), 2075-2080, 2009.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., A Study of Mechanical Properties of Pure and Nitrogen-Doped Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Films under Various Loading Conditions, International Journal of Solids and Structures 46(3-4), 811-823, 2009.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., The Loading History and Crystal Orientation Effects on the Size-Dependency of Single Crystal Diamond Properties, Computational Mechanics, 42(4), 619-629, 2008.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., A Study of the Loading Path and Crystal Orientation Effects on Size-Dependent Limit Strength, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 74(7), 1190-1202, 2007.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., An Investigation of Grain Size and Nitrogen-Doping Effects on the Mechanical Properties of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Films, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 44(10), 3379-3392, 2007.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., A Numerical Study of the Size and Rate Effects on the Mechanical Response of Single Crystal Diamond and UNCD Films, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 15(2), 169-195, 2006.
- Chen, Z., Shen, L., Mai, Y.-W., Shen, Y., A Bifurcation-Based Decohesion Model for Simulating the Transition from Localization to Decohesion with the MPM, Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik (ZAMP), 56(5), 908-930, 2005.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., A Multi-Scale Simulation of Tungsten Film Delamination from Silicon Substrate, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 42(18-19), 5036-5056, 2005.
- Shen, L. and Chen, Z., An Investigation of the Effect of Interfacial Potentials on the Stress Transition in Thin Films, Modelling and Simulations in Materials Science and Engineering, 12, s347-s369, 2004.
- Chen, Z., Hu, W., Shen, L., Xin, X., and Brannon, R., An Evaluation of the MPM for Simulating Dynamic Failure with Damage Diffusion, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 69, 1873-1890, 2002.
- Shen, L., Liu, Y., and Chen, Z., Bifurcation Analyses of Steel and Concrete with Rate-Dependent Properties - Part Two: Bifurcation Analyses and Demonstration, International Journal of Advances in Structural Engineering, 4(4), 225-232, 2001.
Teaching and Learning
- ENGG1802 Engineering Mechanics
- CIVL 4022, CIVL 4023, CIVL 4024 & CIVL 4025 Thesis and Project
Professional Service and Memberships
- Certified Materials Professional (CMP), Materials Australia