BSc(Eng) Hons I, PhD, FIEAust, MASCE
Centre for Geotechnical Research
School of Civil Engineering, Room 413
Phone: +61 2 9351 2128
Fax: +61 2 9351 3343
Research interests & current/recent research projects
Numerical analysis, finite element analysis, finite layer methods, analysis of raft and compensated raft foundations, piled raft foundations, pavement testing and analysis, analysis of tunnelling and excavation.
- Behaviour of piled raft foundations
- Finite Layer Analysis of Piled Rafts with Piles of Different Length and Diameter
A semi analytical technique is being used to analyse the behaviour of Piled rafts, where the piles may be of different lengths and of different diameters. The method is very efficient as compared to finite element methods as only the raft and the piles have to be discretised. The soil may be layered and is considered to be of infinite lateral extent. The nonlinear behaviour of the piles is also being examined.
- Shakedown Analysis of Pavements
Experimental work is being done with the Pavement Testing Facility to determine when a model pavement begins to show signs of deterioration. This is being compared with the “shakedown limit” that is computed by using plasticity theory and linear programming. The aim of this analysis is to find the maximum tyre pressure that can be repeatedly applied to the pavement, before damage occurs.
Consolidation analysis that occurs when excavation and drawdown of the water table occurs is of interest, as it affects the surrounding structures and may lead to damage. The effect on piled foundations is also of interest. Work is also being carried out into the effects of pore pressure dissipation on piled raft foundations.
- The effect of tunnelling on support systems
If a tunnel is driven close to an existing tunnel that has support systems in place, the movements caused by the second tunnel can damage the support system. Investigation of the effects of tunnelling is being carried out to determine how close tunnels can be before irreversible damage takes place.
- An Investigation of the Stability of Numerical Solutions of Biot's Equations of Consolidation, J.R. Booker and J.C. Small, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 1975, Volume 11, pp.907 917.
- Elasto plastic Consolidation of Soil, J.C. Small, J.R. Booker and E.H. Davis, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 1976, Volume 12, pp.431 448.
- Finite Layer Analysis of Layered Elastic Materials Using a Flexibility Approach, Part 1 Strip Loading, J.C. Small and J.R. Booker, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 1984, Volume 20, pp.1025 1037. (Part 2 published in 1986).
- Finite Layer Analysis of Layered Elastic Materials Using a Flexibility Approach, Part 2 Circular and Rectangular Loadings, J.C. Small and J.R. Booker, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 1986, Volume 23, pp.959 978. (Part 1 published in 1984).
- Analysis of Excavation in an Elasto plastic Soil Involving Drawdown of the Water Table, J.P. Hsi and J.C. Small, Computers and Geotechnics, 1992, Volume 13, No.1, pp.1 19.
- Ground Settlements and Drawdown of the Water Table Around an Excavation, J.P. Hsi and J.C. Small, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 1992, Vol.29, No.5, pp.740 756.
- Finite Layer Analysis of Soil Raft Structure Interaction, B.Q. Zhang and J.C. Small, Proceedings of the XIII International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1994, New Delhi, India, January 5 10, Vol.2, pp.587 590.
- Finite Layer Analysis of Pile Groups in Layered Soils, L.D. Ta and J.C. Small, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Numerical Models in Geomechanics NUMOG V (Edited by G.N. Pande and S. Pietruszczak), 6 9 September, Davos, Switzerland, 1995, A.A. Balkema, pp.577-582.
- Analysis of Piled Raft Systems in Layered Soils, L.D. Ta and J.C. Small, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 1996, Vol.20, pp.57 72.
- A Case Study of Hydraulic Fracturing Using Finite Element Methods, A. Ng and J.C. Small, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 1999, Vol.36, No.5, pp.861-875.
- Analysis of Capped Pile Groups Subjected to Horizontal and Vertical Loads, H. Zhang and J.C. Small, Computers and Geotechnics, 2000, Vol.26, No.1, pp.1-21.
- Soil-Structure Interaction, J.C. Small, EH Davis Memorial Lecture, 2001, Australian Geomechanics, 2002, Vol.37, No.1, pp.1-16.
- Behaviour of Piled Rafts with Piles of different Length and Diameter, J.C. Small, H.H. Zhang, and H. Chow, Proceedings of the 9th Australia-New Zealand Conference on Geomechanics: To the eNZ of the Earth, Auckland, 8-11 February, 2004, Vol.1, pp.123-129.
Professional Service and Memberships
- Member, Australian Geotechnical Society
- Member, Standards Australia Committee, CE9, Testing of Soils for Engineering Purposes
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers Australia
- Member, American Society of Engineers
- Senior Principal, Coffey Geosciences