Testing services and consulting
SciGEM provides specialised professional testing and consulting services to national and international industry and other bodies in a broad range of areas, including geomechanics, geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, materials testing and characterisation, product development, proof engineering, forensic engineering, continuum and particle-based modelling of granular systems and modelling of breakage mechanics.
Testing services include the following.
- Atterberg limits
- Grading (particle size distribution)
- Triaxial testing
- Shear box testing (small and large boxes)
- Simple shear testing
- Oedometer testing
- Testing of rock samples (point load and unconfined compression tests)
- Permeability testing
- Shear wave velocity testing (small strain modulus)
- Pull-out tests on reinforcing straps
- Constant normal stiffness (CNS) testing
- Model or prototype testing
Microstructural, mineral and mining material testing
- Morphological studies
- Model testing of particle flow problems
- Sample preparation for material testing
- Surface profilometer
- 3D printing
Consulting services include the following:
- Provision of expert advice
- Prototype testing
- Evaluation of novel foundation systems.
SciGEM hosts outstanding specialised equipment for the preparation, testing and characterisation of materials, including:
- 3D printer
- automated particle characterisation equipment by image analysis
- loading frame with load cells of 5kN and 200N
- wheel saw
- stadium shear device
- optical microscope
- photographic and thermal imaging
- microanalysis equipment, including for digital image correlation and particle tracking
- 3D profilometer (coming soon).
It also hosts a large range of testing facilities for geotechnical investigations, including equipment to examine strengths of soils and the behaviours of many different types of foundations.