I am a post-doc researcher at CARLab. I am mainly interested in spatial audio.
My main research interest is the analysis and synthesis of spatial sound fields. More specifically, I try to answer the following questions:
- How to record and analyse the spatial properties of the sound field ?
- How to recreate an arbitrary sound field over a spatially extended area ?
- How to detect and track sound sources ? How to extract the corresponding signals ?
During my previous post-doc, at France Telecom R&D (Lannion, France), I focused on the design and evaluation of spherical and cylindrical microphone arrays. This resulted in the development of a microphone array having an extended frequency range.
Although I am still interested in microphone arrays at CARLab, I am involved in several other research projects:
- Objective and subjective evaluation of 3d audio playback methods over loudspeaker arrays
- Individualised binaural rendering of sound fields recorded with microphone arrays
- Development of a Blind Source Separation method based on Independent Component Analysis in the spherical harmonic domain
- Application of Compressed Sensing techniques to the analysis and synthesis of spatial sound fields.
- N. Epain, C. Jin and A. van Schaik: "Blind source separation using independent component analysis in the spherical harmonic domain". In Proceedings of the Ambisonic Symposium 2010, Paris, France, May 2010.
- N. Epain, C. Jin and A. van Schaik: "The application of compressive sampling to the analysis and synthesis of spatial sound fields". In Proceedings of the 127th AES Convention, New York, USA, October 2009.
- N. Epain and J. Daniel: "Improving spherical microphone arrays". In Proceedings of the 124th AES Convention, Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 2008.
- N. Epain and J. Daniel: "Pushing the frequency limits of spherical microphone arrays". In Proceedings of the HSCMA2008 Workshop , Trento, Italy, May 2008.
- N. Epain and E. Friot: "Active control of sound inside a sphere via control of the acoustic pressure at the boundary surface". Journal of Sound and Vibration, 299(3):587–604, January 2007.
- N. Epain and E. Friot: "3d reproduction of low-frequency sound fields using the boundary pressure control method". In Proceedings of ACTIVE'06, Adelaide, Australia, September 2006.
- N. Epain, E. Friot and M. Winninger: "Expeìrience de contrôle actif global du bruit dans une spheÌre". In Proceedings of the 8th CongreÌs Français d’Acoustique, Tours, France, 2006.
- N. Epain, P. Herzog, G. Rabau and E. Friot: "Preliminary work about the reproduction of sonic boom signals for perception studies". In Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Non-linear Acoustics, State College, Pennsylvania, USA, July 2005.
- N. Epain and E. Friot: "Indoor sonic boom reproduction using ANC". In Proceedings of ACTIVE'04, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA, September 2004.