Upgrade from MPhil to PhD
A Master’s candidate may apply for an upgrade to PhD after their first year of full-time candidature by completing the appropriate form. The criteria for upgrade of candidature follow:
- Has at least a peer-reviewed publication in a Tier-B journal or conference (acceptance rate less than 40%). If the paper is yet to be published, the acceptance email from the organiser should be attached.
- Has a letter of full support from the primary supervisor indicating the candidate’s performance, calibre and work ethics during the Master’s year. The letter should focus on the candidate’s performance during their candidature at the University of Sydney based on the supervisor’s personal experience.
- Submit a progress report, as per guidelines given below.
- Submit a PhD research proposal.
The candidate will then be asked to present their case in front of a selected panel. The upgrade review will be run in the same manner as the probation review.
Note: The PG Research Director will need to chair the meeting.
The possible outcomes of such a review are:
- successful conversion to PhD, or
- continuation in the Master’s program
As in a regular progress review meeting, the panel may report on unsatisfactory progress highlighting problems and suggesting actions to resolve the problems.