Associate Professor Ali Abbas
BEng PhD Sydney
Director of the Laboratory for Multiscale Systems
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
J01 - Chemical Engineering Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 3002|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 2854|
Laboratory for Multiscale Systems
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Sydney University Second Life
Associate Professor Ali Abbas received both his Bachelors and PhD in Chemical Engineering from University of Sydney, Australia. He held a lecturing contract at the Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Sydney before joining, in 2004, the new School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He was appointed, in 2007, to the lecturing position at UNSW Asia in Chemical Engineering in the Division of Engineering Science and Technology. Associate Professor Abbas returned to the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Sydney in 2007.
His engineering research is in the area of Process Systems Engineering with emphasis on model-based optimal operation of particulate, energy and bio- systems. He has strong interests in education and teaching with particular focus on curriculum design and integration as well as on experiential e-learning and virtual worlds.
Associate Professor Ali Abbas focuses on the application of high-fidelity mathematical models that enhance efficiencies and create value in the process and biomedical industries, with a primary focus on energy systems. His ongoing model-based research in carbon capture is helping power generators assess solutions for integration of carbon capture.
Process Systems Engineering
- Particulate Systems
- Energy Systems
Teaching and learning
- Curriculum design and integration
- Experiential e-learning and virtual worlds
Teaching and supervision
CHNG3801 - Process Design
CHNG3802 - Operating/Improving Industrial Systems
CHNG5001 - Process Systems Engineering
CHNG5801 - Foundations of Process Design
CHNG5802 - Foundations of Operating and Improving Industrial Systems
ENGG5202 - Sustainable Design, Engineering & Management
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) (2009-2010)
- Australian Institute of Energy (AIE) (2010)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) (2008-2010)
In the media
We conduct a number of 2-day process control short courses throughout the year for industry professionals. Please contact the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Foundation for schedule and details. Short courses can also be tailored for individual organizations' training requirements.
We provide consultancy services for various industries covering a wide variety of chemical process engineering and technical services. We develop solutions for a wide range of industries including:
- Energy and renewables
- Petrochemical, oil and gas
- Chemicals and fine chemicals
- Pharmaceutical and biomedical
Our services include:
- Research consulting
- Techno-economic, feasibility and audit reports
- Carbon audit service
- Life cycle analysis (LCA) studies
- Process efficiency reviews
- Process automation and control systems design
- Chemical process engineering and design
- Process modeling and process optimisation
- Flowsheet modeling and simulation, mass and energy balance development
- Pilot-scale tests
- Proof-of-concept studies
Please contact us to enquire about any of our services or to organise for a no-commitment discussion on your next project.
Materials and structures
- High-performance porous coordination polymer membranes for separation; Lai Z, Qiu S, Abbas A; King Abdullah University of Science and Technology/Research Support.
- 2nd Sydney Symposium on Carbon Capture (S2C2); Abbas A; Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering/Australia - China JCG Partnership Fund.
- Dynamic input adjustment to improve the stability of transient swirling flows in spray dryers; Abbas A, Fletcher D, Langrish T; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Model-based optimisation of highly-integrated post-combustion carbon capture processes; Abbas A; Australian National Low Emissions Coal Research and Development Ltd/Alternatives & Fundamentals Program.
- Analysis of carbon capture processes integrated with membrane and solarthermal energy systems; Abbas A, Chiesa M, Lai Z; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Australia China Emerging Future Leaders in Low Emissions Coal Technology; Abbas A; Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering/Australia-China Emerging Future Leaders in Low Emissions Coal Technology Fellowship.
- Simultaneous Measurements of Reaction Kinetics and Particle Distributions for Cutting-Edge Research into CO2 Storage, Catalysis and Novel Materials; Dlugogorski B, Kennedy E, Moghtaderi B, Stockenhuber M, Melchers R, Abbas A, Valix M, Harris A, Kannangara G, Bartlett J, Milev A, Tran N, May E, Rufford T, O'Neill B; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Australia - Harvard Fellowship; Abbas A; Harvard Club of Australia Foundation/Australia - Harvard Fellowship.
- Community-based solutions for sustainable water systems; Abbas A, Milani D; Environmental Trust/Environmental Research Program - Seed Grants.
- Assessment of novel technology to generate value-added biofuels and chemicals from Australian grain crops; Harris A, Abbas A, Montoya Escobar A; Grains Research and Development Corporation/Research and Development: New Farm Products and Services.
- On the efficient integration of post combustion carbon capture solvent technology with the thermal power station steam cycle; Abbas A, Coombes P; Delta Electricity/Research Support.