Professor Fariba Dehghani
M.Eng The University of Shiraz Iran, PhD UNSW
Director of ARC Food Processing Training Centre
Director of Bioengineering Research
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
J01 - Chemical Engineering Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 4794|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 2854|
Bioengineering & Biophysics Lab
Biotechnology and Biomolecular Engineering
|Curriculum vitae||Curriculum vitae|
Professor Fariba Dehghani leads a multidisciplinary bioengineering research team comprising engineers, scientists, clinicians and molecular biologists focused on developing technologies for nutritional food products and biomaterials, with particular emphasis on tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. She is the director of Australian Research Council for Australian Food Processing Industry in the 21st Century, as well as director of Centre of Excellence in Innovation for Food Products, Processes and Supply Chain in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies at the University of Sydney. Professor Dehghani is a distinguished researcher and was selected by Engineers Australia as one of the 50 Engineers for innovation in research in 2016.
Her laboratory works on the;
- Recovery of high value products from natural resources with nutritional and medicinal benefits
- Design of diagnostic tools such as microfluidic devices and biosensors for medical, food and agricultural applications
- Development of renewable materials for packaging and other applications
- Synthesis and processes of biomaterials for regenerative medicine; particularly injectable material for non-invasive applications
- Advanced process design and optimisation
Professor Fariba Dehghani’s research in bioengineering focuses on developing technologies for processing biomaterials, with particular emphasis on tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
"My research aims to develop sustainable, low-energy, benign processes (such as supercritical technique) for manufacturing bio-products and to reduce organic solvent consumption. For instance, currently I am looking into; developing a low cost process for the sterilisation of active compounds extracted from plants; synthesis and purification of biodegradable polymers for active and smart food packaging; bio-inspired materials and technologies to engineer tissues and organs; and investigating whether all the above can translate to clinical outcomes. This involves novel materials and implant devices as well as compounds for the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease, viral infections, cancer, osteoporosis and a range of other health issues.
"My work focuses on synthesising biodegradable polymers, bioglasses, and hybrids with unique feature for tissue engineering. I also aim to develop materials for minimally invasive surgery and overcome current issues for injectable formulations including degradability, injectability and mechanical strength. Overcoming these will have a major impact on developing materials that can resolve many health issues, including sport injuries and bone defects. I am currently investigating applications of these new classes of biomaterials for drug delivery and bone repair.
"Another example of my research is the use of naturally derived chemical compounds for therapeutic applications or nutritional food products that can reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular and osteoporosis.”
"My bioengineering research has resulted in developing a fermentation process that led to producing an oil rich in vitamin K, with greater bioavailability. The concentration of this compound is 25-fold higher than any commercially available food on the market. This oil can be used in the formulation of food products to reduce the risk of osteoporotic fractures and cardiovascular disease.”
“I collaborate widely with food and biotech companies to enable transformation of our research, which provides an excellent opportunity for our researchers to build partnerships with industry that will be of great value in their future careers.”
“In tandem with this, I actively encourage students and researchers under my supervision to be entrepreneurial. My research led to the establishment of a start-up in 2015 that received $1.5 M in funding from a private investor.”
"I've been working in this field since 1998, and joined the University of Sydney in 2006. Working here provides a collegial environment where I can collaborate with other disciplines and internationally prominent research teams."
Teaching and supervision
CHNG3804 - Biochemical Engineering
CHNG5022 - Capstone Project B Extended
CHNG5222 - Dissertation A
CHNG5223 - Dissertation B
CHNG5603 - Analysis, Modelling, Control: BioPhy Sys
CHNG5605 - Bio-Products: Laboratory to Marketplace
CHNG5701 - Foundation of Conservation and Transport Processes
CHNG5804 - Foundations of Biochemical Engineering
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Design and Development of Novel Biomaterials for Enzyme-Based Therapies||Arash ARAGHI|
|Skin � On � Chip: A New Approach for Wound Healing Study||Sahar BIGLARI|
|Adjusting formulation of spray-dried particles to create high and heterogeneous porosity||Songwen TAN|
|Vitamin K for the improvement of intensive meat and livestock production systems||Tom TARENTO|
|Development of a new drug from abalone hemocyanin for treatment of herpes simplex virus (HSV)||Jiadai WU|
- Member of ARC College of expert (2016-present)
- Organiser of advances in Biotechnology for Food and Medical Applications Workshop, October 2016, Sydney
- Organiser of SJTU-USyd Joint Alliance- Research Advances in Biotechnology for medical application workshop November 2016, Sydney
- Organiser of Innovation in Food Processing and Biotechnology, October 2015, Sydney
- Member of technical Committee of Bio-nanotechnology for Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS, IEEE), the world's largest international society of biomedical engineer
- Member of program committee for Annual International Conference on Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Chemical Process (CCECP 2013-present)
- Scientific Advisory board for CoE in Infrastructure Engineering in Western Sydney University (2014-present)
- Member of advisory board for the scientific committee for the International Conference on Process Intensification for Sustainable Chemical Industries (2014-present)
Awards and honours
- 2016 Engineers Australia - Australia's Most Innovative Engineers
- 2013 Australia-Harvard Fellowship award
- Dankook Fellwoship in 2014
- Fellowship award from WPI-AIMR 2012
- Research award from IChemE in 2012 for the best oral presentation
- Gold Star Award from the Vice Chancellor at the University of New South Wales for a grant application (2005)
- John Brodie Medal from the Institute of Engineers, Australia for Achievement in Chemical Engineering (1999)
- A travelling award to attend the fourth international symposium of supercritical fluids in Sendai, Japan (1998)
- My research has received more than 15 awards from IChemE, Engineers Australia and industries (e.g. Hays Corporation) for innovation in process and material development
In the media
- Talaie Zanjani N, Valtchev, Miranda-Saksena M, Cuthbertson A, Dienfenbach, Gomes V, Cunningham T, Dehghani F, Abalanone hemocyanin and screening methods using the same, Provisional patent No. 2014904790.
- Schindeler A, Cheng T, Valtchev P, Dehghani F, Little D, High viscosity liquid carrier materials for biotechnology and drug delivery, Provisional Patent No. 2014900566.
- Dehghani F, Kavanagh J, Regtop HL, Talbot A, Berenjian A, Mahanama R, Fermentation and in situ extraction of products, Aus. Prov. Pat. No. 2013900664.
- Dehghani F, Ravarian R, Chrzanowski W, Improved PMMA-hybrid network, Aus. Prov. Pat. No. 2013900475.
- Dehghani F, Weiss A, Wei H, Mithieux S, Fathi A, A peptide-hydrogel composite, PCT/AU 2012/001566.
- Dehghani F, Zhong X, Organometallic catalyst and preparation thereof, Patent PCT Int. Appl. (2010), WO 2010069000
- Dehghani F, Annabi N, Mithieux S, Weiss A, Hydrogels derived from biological polymers PCT Int. Appl. (2009), WO 2009105820.
- Foster, N.R., Regtop, H.L., Dehghani, F, Bustami, R.T., Chan, H-K., Synthesis of small particles. PCT Int. Appl. (2002), 43 pp CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 0245690 A1 20020613 AN2002:449482
- Foster NR; Regtop HL; Dehghani F, Preparation of small particles for pharmaceutical delivery. PCT Int. Appl. (2003), 37 pp. WO 2003047553 A1 20030612
- Foster NR; Regtop HL; Dehghani F; Tandya A, Formulation of fine particles using liquefied or dense gases. PCT Int. Appl. (2003), 36 pp., WO 2003088951, A1 20031030.
- Foster NR; Dehghani F; Combes G, Regtop H L; Particles Synthesis Apparatus and Method, 22 pp., WO2004/089524, A1 20041012.
National and International Recognition
- Our discovery for identifying the mechanism of action of hemocyanin against Herpes Simplex Virus was highlighted in ABC Catalyst Program in 2014
- Recent work in synthesis of an injectable polymer for cartilage repair was nominated as one of top ten posters in MRS 2012 in Boston, USA
- I have been invited to write more than 5 review articles and book chapters (e.g. three during the last six months for international publication)
- My research was highlighted in ARS Technica-Boston MA as a breakthrough in biomaterials (http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2008/10/near-liquid-co2-gives-a-boost-to-cell-scaffolds.ars).
- As a result of my international reputation, I am frequently interviewed for my cutting edge research for cartilage repair.
- My research for the production of vitamin K7 was a hot topic on human health news Rx one of the world's largest producer of health news in November 2011 and January 2012:
- http://food.verticalnews.com/articles/6360648.html, http://food.verticalnews.com/articles/6360648.html, http://www.newsrx.com/healtharticles/2769808.html)
- The work for vitamin K7 production was also the best postgraduate poster presentation at World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (WCECS 2012) and IChemE 2012 at Sydney University.
Invited and Keynote Speaker:
- BIT’s 2nd Annual World Congress of Smart Materials, March 4-6, 2016, Singapore
- 2015 4th TERMIS World Congress, September 8 -11, Boston, MA, USA
- 3rd annual workshop on Micro- and Nanotechnologies in Medicine Biomaterial, Biomaterials Innovation Research Center at Brigham Woman’s Hospital, 27-31st July, Boston, MA, USA
- The Asia-Pacific Symposium on Process Intensification and Sustainability, May 9-11, 2014 Changzhou, China
- TERMIS EU 2014, Genoa, Italy, June 10-13
- Departments of Materials, Imperial College London, June 2014
- The 2014 Tissue Engineering Conference, London UK, 2 - 4th June, 2014
- NSF workshop on BioMEMS and Tissue Engineering, Cambridge, MA from July 29th-August 2nd, 2013
- 12th International Conference on Frontiers of Polymers and Advanced Materials (12th ICFPAM), 8-12 December 2013, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Tissue engineering workshop held at Harvard Medical School, Boston, US, 29th November 2012
- The International Symposium of Regenerative Medicine in World Class University (ITREN-WCU), Dankook University, Korea, 20th November 2012.
- Tissue engineering workshop in School of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul University of Technology as part of World Class University program, Seoul, Korea, 21st November 2012.
- 2011 ITREN 13th Symposium of WPI-AIMR Annual Meeting, Sendai, Japan, 21-24 February.
- The International Conference on Process Intensification for Sustainable Chemical Industries (ICPI2011) Beijing, China, on June 26-29, 2011.
- Sharif University and Baboul University of Technology, Iran, November 2010.
- 5th International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids (ISSF), Atlanta April 2000.
Biomedical engineering and technology
- Design a Skin-on-a-Chip Device for Investigating Wound Healing Mechanism; Dehghani F, Khademhosseini A, Fathi A; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- EnvisionTEC 3D-Bioplotter. High Precision 3D Printer for Processing Multi-biomaterials; Dehghani F, Weiss A, Bilek M; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- A new platform for developing a compound against Herpes Simplex Virus; Dehghani F, Cunningham A, Gomes V; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- ElastoSensTM Bio2; Dehghani F, Chrzanowski W, O'Neill G, McConchie R, Chandrawati R; University of Sydney/Equipment Grant.
- Cancer invasion and metastasis: how actin networks control cell movement in 3 dimensional environments; O'Neill G, Biro M, Dehghani F, Chrzanowski W, Richardson D; DVC Research/SPARC Implementation - Cancer.
- Methacrylated bone extracellular matrix protein extract hydrogel for craniofacial tissue engineering, stage two; Spahr A, Obregon F, Dehghani F; Australian Dental Association Inc/Research Support.
- Bio-inspired strategies and advances in micro and nanotechnology for Food, Medicine and Biomedical Devices; Dehghani F, Kirckpatrick C, Heilshorn S, Khademhosseini A, Choy K, Yang Y, Perego P; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Biothermosetting bone filler: an injectable osteoconductive repair material; Weiss A, Dehghani F; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Development Grants.
- Australia and Koreas Clean Energy Future: The Role of Innovative Technology; Chae S, Dehghani F; Australia-Korea Foundation/Research Support.
- ATVRE - Assistive Technologies for Virtual Rehabilitation Engineering; Feng D, Dehghani F, Dunstan C, Jin C, Kim J, Li Q, McEwan A, Ruys A, Brooker G, Buckley T, Cai W, Davis G, Fornusek C, Fulham M, Khadra M, Mohamed A, Murray G, Peck C, Vucetic B, Weiss A; DVC Research/Research Network Scheme (SyReNS).
- Clean Technologies for the synthesis and purification of a biohybrid and biodegradable polymer; Dehghani F, Chrzanowski W; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Microfluidic fabrication of engineered tissues; Khademhosseini A, Dehghani F; DVC Research/International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA).
- Australia-Harvard Fellowship; Dehghani F; Harvard Club of Australia Foundation/Australia - Harvard Fellowship.
- nanoIR - nanoscale bioimaging with continuous mapping of chemical and physical properties; Gomes V, Dehghani F, Gan Y, Chang L, Jabbarzadeh-Khoei A, McKenzie D, Hanaor D, Zhou F, Chrzanowski W, Braet F, Bilek M, Chan K, Perrier S, O'Neill G, Ammit A, Brand-Miller J, McEwan A, Hawkett B, Kondyurin A, Li Q, Burgess J, Li Z; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- WITEC Alpha 300R High Throughput Microscope - Confocal Raman Microscope; Traini D, Young P, Murray M, Dehghani F, Chan K, Oliver B, Holst J; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- Clean Technologies for the synthesis and purification of a biohybrid and biodegradable polymer; Chrzanowski W, Dehghani F; BlueScope Steel - Lysaght Technology/Project Support.
- Versatile elastin based hybrid hydrogels for chondrocyte transplantation and repair; Weiss A, Dehghani F; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Talking to cells - biointerface as a key parameter in communication with cells; Chrzanowski W, Brown D, Dehghani F, Hibbs D, Ravarian R, Wassef A, Wong J, Yun Y, Lee J, Jang J, Hwang J, Shin S, Shin U, Lee S, Kim H; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Antioxidant Extraction from Wine Waste Using Sub-Super Critical Fluids; Aliakbarian B, Dehghani F; Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations/Endeavour Awards - Scholarships and Fellowships.
- qNano scanning ion occlusion spectroscopy (SIOS); Chrzanowski W, Bebawy M, Dehghani F, Chan K, Rohanizadeh R, Hawkett B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- The Instron testing material instrument (Model 5943); Dehghani F, Weiss A, Bilek M, Zreiqat H, Dunstan C, Chrzanowski W, Rohanizadeh R; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Engineering of novel ferrocene-based cross-linked hybrid intelligent micelles with anti-tumour efficacy fro drug delivery; Wei H, Wei H, Dehghani F; DVC Research/Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Scheme.
- Fabrication of microchannels in hydrogels; Khademhosseini A, Dehghani F; Harvard Club of Australia Foundation/Research Support.
- New fermentation and purification production technologies for menaquinone-7 for promoting bone and cardiovascular health; Regtop H, Dehghani F, Kavanagh J; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Extraction and purification of a novel glycoprotein with antiviral activity from an Australian mollusc; Dehghani F, Patane M, Cuthbertson A, Cavanagh B, Gomes V; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Benign fabrication of microfluidic hydrogel for improved artificial vasculature in bone implants; Dehghani F, Kazarian S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- State of the art high resolution thermal analysis suite for the life and material sciences; Stewart P, Young P, Traini D, Chan K, Murray M, Dehghani F, Hibbs D, Larson I, Warr G, Weiss A; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- A rapid-rotation dense gas precipitation process for the production of pharmaceutical fine powders; Dehghani F; University of Sydney/Bridging Support.
- Carbon dioxide: Solvent, carrier and reagent, for novel polymer networks with controlled nano-architectures; Foster N, Dehghani F; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).