Professor Hala Zreiqat
Bsc (Hons) Jordan PhD UNSW
NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Head: Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering Research Unit
Founder & Chair of ADATE
Member of Bosch Institute
Visiting Professor at American University of Beirut (AUB)
J07 - Mechanical Engineering Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 2392|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 7060|
ADATE - Alliance for Design and Application in Tissue Engineering
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Unit
|Curriculum vitae||Curriculum vitae|
Hala Zreiqat is Professor of Biomedical Engineering, a 2016-2017 Radcliff-Harvard Fellow, a National Health and Medical Research Council Senior Research Fellow, and is Head of the Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Unit in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Sydney. Her group consists of multidisciplinary team of researchers including engineers, cell and molecular biologists and clinicians. Her lab works on the development of novel engineered materials and 3D printed platforms for regenerative medicine, particularly in the fields of orthopaedics, dental and maxillofacial applications. In addition, her group is interested in the development of novel nanospheres for growth factors, drug and cell delivery as well as novel injectable materials. She has over 100 peer-reviewed publications. Her pioneering development of innovative biomaterials for tissue regeneration has led to one awarded (US) and 6 provisional patents, 5 as a lead inventor, and several collaborations with inter/national industry partners. She is regularly invited to give keynote and plenary presentations at major international and national conferences. She has organized / chaired a number of major international conferences/ symposia / workshops. She is the immediate past president of the Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic research Society (2010-2012). She is the founder and chair of the Alliance for Design and Application in Tissue Engineering. Amongst her awards are: Leopold Dintenfass Memorial Award, for Excellence in Research (2012); University of Sydney Engineering Deans Research Award (2009).
Millions of people worldwide suffer bone loss due to injury, infection, disease or abnormal skeletal development, and treatment frequently requires regeneration of new bone. Since each patient has only a limited amount of bone available for grafting, the demand for synthetic bone substitutes is high. Those currently available are far from optimal, but Professor Hala Zreiqat has developed a unique ceramic material that acts as a scaffold on which the body can regenerate new bone, then gradually degrades as it is replaced by natural bone.
"The bone substitute my team and I have developed resembles natural bone in terms of architecture, strength and porosity. So it is strong enough to withstand the loads that will be applied to it, and also contains pores that allow blood and nutrients to penetrate it. In this way it is designed to encourage normal bone growth, and to eventually be replaced by natural bone in the body.
"The fact that it actually 'kick starts' the process of bone regeneration makes it far superior to other available materials. Our tests also show that it will not be rejected by the body. In addition, we can make as many implants as we want from this material, so availability will not be a problem.
"This material has the potential to positively affect the quality of life of millions of people globally, so we are hoping to see it in use clinically within the next 10 years.
Teaching and supervision
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Development of biomaterials for musculoskeletal regeneration||Leon JIANG|
|Development and characterization of injectable doped calcium silicate composite materials||Young NO|
|Clinical and Laboratory Research in Osseointegration||Seamus THOMSON|
|Development of a novel collagen-polymer fibre composite for skin and cardiac tissue engineering||Steph YEE|
- President, Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS) (2010-2012)
- Secretary, Australian and New Zealand Orthopaedic Research Society (ANZORS) (2007-2009)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Biomaterials Research and Engineering
- Member, Editorial Board, Recent Patents on Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Editor, Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials, and Tissue Engineering
- Editorial Board, Journal of Medical Engineering
Awards and honours
- 2016-2107 Radcliff Harvard Fellow
- NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship AUD 622,655 (2016-2020)
- John and Eileen Haddon Memorial Plaque from the Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation (2015)
- Australia-Harvard Fellowship: AUD 10,000 (2013)
- Leopold Dintenfass Memorial Award, for Excellence in Research (2012)
- NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship: AUD 570,640 (2011-2015)
- University of Sydney Engineering Deans Research Award (2009)
- Australian Academy of Science Award for research undertaken at Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Pharmacologie Articulaires, Faculté de Médicine, Université Henri Poincaré, France: AUD 10,500 (2009)
- R Douglas Wright Biomedical Career Development Award (NHMRC): AUD 426,250 (2006-2010) Australian Academy of Science Award for research undertaken at Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany: AUD 11,000 (2004)
- Australian Postgraduate Research Award (PhD scholarship): AUD 28,000 p.a. (1995-1997)
- Advisor World Orthopaedic Alliance (WOA)- (October 2012-present)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) award for research undertaken at Saarland University, Germany: AUD 10,000 (2011)
- Invited Guest Professorship, Laboratoire de biomatériaux et polymères de spécialité, Institut Galilée, Université Paris 13: AUD 8,000 (2011)
- Invited Guest Professorship, Laboratoire de biomatériaux et polymères de spécialité, Institut Galilée, Université Paris 13: AUD 8,000 (2007)
- Invited Guest Professorship, Laboratoire de biomatériaux et polymères de spécialité, Institut Galilée, Université Paris 13: AUD 8,000 (2006)
- Dr James Chong (Millennium Institute) PhD, FRACP, MBBS, Senior Lecturer Medicine, Westmead Clinical School, The Westmead Institute for Medical Research
- Associate Professor Geraldine O'Neil (Westmead Hospital): Paediatrics & Child Health, Children's Hospital, Westmead
- Professor Chris Little: Director Raymond Purves Bone and Joint Research Labs Surgery, Northern Clinical School, Kolling Institute of Medical Research
- Dr Tara Speranza: Senior Lecturer, Physiology, School of Medical Sciences
- Associate Professor Axel Spahr, Dr. Med. Dent. Habil., MRACDS(Perio) Head - Department of Periodontics, Sydney Dental Hospital, Head - Discipline of Periodontics, University of Sydney
- Dr Payal Mukherjee, MBBS, FRACS (ORLHNS), MS (Usyd) Clinical Senior Lecturer Surgery, Central Clinical School, Sydney Adventist Hospital Clinical School
- Dr Roland Steck Sc Techn (ETH Zurich), Deputy Director, Medical Engineering Research Facility (MERF), Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI), Queensland University of Technology
- Associate Professor Andrew Minett: Co-Director of the Laboratory for Sustainable Technology
- Associate Professor Cynthia Whitchurch, ithree institute, the University of Technology, Sydney
In the media
Visiting international academics
- Dr Martin Vielreicher, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany (October 2015)
- Professor Oliver Friedrich, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, (September 2015)
- Professor Sarah Heilshorn, Stanford University, University of Sydney's International Research Collaboration Award (January 2016)
- Dr Yirong Chen, Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China (January 2015-January 2016)
- Assistant Professor Tolou Shokuhfar, Michigan Technological University, USA (April-May 2014)
- Associate Professor Xiaobing Zhao, Changzhou University, China (2012-2013)
- Professor Vicki Rosen, Harvard University - sponsored by an Australia-Harvard Fellowship (2012)
- Professor Jeremy Mao, Columbia University, USA - sponsored by a University of Sydney International Visiting Fellowship (2008)
- Honorary Professor - Shanghai JiaoTong University,Faculty of Medicine, China (2013-2018)
- Honorary Professor - Faculty of Medicince, University of Shanghai
- Visiting Professor - American University of Beirut, Lebanon (2013)
- Visiting Academic - School of Biomedical Engineering, Drexel University, USA (2010-continued)
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Strategies for Building Bone
- Surface modification of biomaterials for orthopaedic applications
- Scaffolds for skeletal tissue regeneration
- Role of S100A8 and S100A9 in osteoarthritis +
+ indicates the opportunity is full and unavailable.
(Jiao Tong University)
Professor Xinquan Jiang, Oral Bioengineering Lab, Shanghai Research Institute of Stomatology.
(University of Erlangen-Nuremberg)
Professor Oliver Friedrich, The Institute of Medical Biotechnology
(University of Otago, Christchurch)
Associate Professor Tim Woodfield
Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, Mikati Foundation Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Sciences
Professor Professor Vicki Rosen, Department Head and Professor of Developmental Biology
Professor Sarah Heilshorn, Department of Materials Science & Engineering
Professor David Kaplan
- Novel 3D printed scaffolds for intervertebral fusion; Zreiqat H; Rebecca Cooper Foundation/Research Grant.
- Collaborative Design of Materials for Bone Regeneration and Development of Biomedical Entrepreneurs Training Program; Heilshorn S, Zreiqat H; DVC Research/International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA).
- 3D Printed Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration; Zreiqat H; DVC Research/Bridging Support Grant.
- Tissue Engineering approach to Musculoskeletal regeneration; Zreiqat H; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Career Awards: Research Fellowships.
- Real time bio-impedance measurement of biological samples: Electrical Cell-substrate Impedance Spectroscopy ECIS Zθ equipped with Ibidi Pump System; Traini D, Young P, Zreiqat H, Grau G, Ammit A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Using 3D printing technology to regenerate human bone; Zreiqat H; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- Harnessing Mesenchymal Stem cell therapeutics for Bone Regeneration by Tumour Necrosis Factor-alpha; Lu Z, Zreiqat H; Perpetual Trustees Charitable Trusts/Research Support.
- The SurPASS Electrokinetic Surface Potential Analyser for Solid Samples; Dunstan C, Jabbarzadeh-Khoei A, Neto C, Zreiqat H, Murray M; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- The Cellular-Scaffold Interface unravelled: Advanced Multiphoton-Imaging to optimize Bone Tissue Engineering using novel mechanically strong, tough and bioactive 3 D printed Ceramics Biomaterialsscaffolds; Zreiqat H, Roohaniesfahani S, Friedrich O; Group of Eight/Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme.
- Using 3D printing technology to develop architecturally-controlled synthetic bone substitutes; Zreiqat H, Li Q, Lee J; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Architecturally-controlled synthetic bone substitutes for bone regeneration under load; Roohaniesfahani S, Zreiqat H, Steck R, Han L; AO Foundation/Start-up Grants.
- CLARIOstar Multifunctional Microplate Reader for Shared Used at the Open Access, Multi-User Molecular Biology Core Facility; Huang M, Scolyer R, Fraser S, Sahni S, Speranza T, Owens T, Barrs V, Ju Y, Kovacevic Z, Lu Z, Camp A, Slobedman B, Morris B, Oliver B, Dos Remedios C, Kalinowski D, Fu D, Lai D, Lovicu F, Allbutt H, Triccas J, Burgess J, Kril J, Dixon K, Rendina L, Byrne M, King N, Groundwater P, Williamson P, Ho J, Dong Q, Bao B, Assinder S, McLennan S, Richardson D, Ammit A, Sharland A, Hardikar A, Hong A, Hambly B, Lee C, Murphy C, Goldsbury C, Johnstone D, Lane D, Hibbs D, Joshua D, Huq F, Halliday G, Sutherland G, Zreiqat H, Lok H, Lyons G, Jansson P, Black J, Zhu L, Sunde M, Day M, Naylor M, Buckland M, Murray M, Shafie N, Lay P, Poronnik P, Codd R, Mason R, Ryan R, Christopherson R, de Graaf S; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Engineering strategies for bone regeneration through microstructural design; Zreiqat H, Dunstan C; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- 2013 Australia-Harvard Fellowship; Zreiqat H; Harvard Club of Australia Foundation/Australia - Harvard Fellowship.
- QX100 Droplet Digital PCR system for Shared Used at the Open Access, Multi-User Molecular Biology Core Facility; Richardson D, Kril J, Murphy C, Vandenberg R, Rendina L, Dos Remedios C, Ju Y, Kovacevic Z, Lyons G, Sutherland G, Lay P, Ammit A, Lai D, Morris B, Day M, Dong Q, Bao B, Huang M, Camp A, Boyer M, Whittington R, Byrne M, Hanrahan J, Fu D, Jansson P, Lane D, Bagley E, Hibbs D, Zhang D, Fraser S, Scolyer R, Black J, Halliday G, Christie M, Zreiqat H, Murray M, Slobedman B, Naylor M, Burgess J, Triccas J, Mason R, Chadban S, Combes V, Lovicu F, McLennan S, Kalinowski D, Sharland A, Johnstone D, Groundwater P, Dixon K, Zhou F, Lovejoy D, Lu Z, Zhu L, Goldsbury C, Witting P, Buckland M, Assinder S, Purdie (Williams) A, Codd R, Owens T, Hambly B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Microstructural Design Strategies for Repairing Traumatic Skeletal Injuries; Zreiqat H, Dunstan C; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- A basis for building bone: Novel biomaterials for new bone growth; Zreiqat H; DVC Research/Bridging Support Grant.
- Australia-Harvard Fellowship 2012; Zreiqat H; Harvard Club of Australia Foundation/Australia - Harvard Fellowship.
- GeneAtlas Personal Microarray System; Richardson D, Scolyer R, Stocker R, Weninger W, Black J, Allen D, Murray M, Mason R, Twigg S, King N, Horvath L, Lovicu F, Lee C, Halliday G, Lovejoy D, Joshua D, Sharland A, Roufogalis B, Hambly B, Morris B, Bao B, Bishop A, Hibbs D, Lane D, Zhou F, Hanrahan J, Dixon K, Rendina L, Byrne M, Naylor M, Cole N, Jansson P, Dong Q, Codd R, Payne R, Assinder S, Chadban S, Fraser S, McLennan S, Suryo Rahmanto A, Lai D, Yu Y, Ju Y, Buckland M, Kovacevic Z, Saletta F, Zreiqat H, Kalinowski D, Groundwater P, Simes R, Zhang D, Boyer M, Murphy C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- The Instron testing material instrument (Model 5943); Dehghani F, Weiss A, Bilek M, Zreiqat H, Dunstan C, Chrzanowski W, Rohanizadeh R; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Senior Research Fellowship A; Zreiqat H; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Career Awards: Research Fellowships.
- Novel engineered nano-composite scaffolds for bone regeneration; Zreiqat H; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- The small animal bioimager; Halliday G, Hambley T, Zreiqat H, Richardson D, Holst J, Rasko J, Byrne S, Dong Q, Hong A, Lyons G; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Novel coatings for orthopaedic application; Zreiqat H, Sonnabend D, Dunstan C; Australian Orthopaedic Association Research Foundation Ltd/Research Support.
- Novel scaffolds for augmenting large bone defects; Zreiqat H; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- Harnessing the physiological effects of strontium and zinc to produce novel biomaterials for orthopaedic applications; Zreiqat H, Dunstan C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Biomaterials for orthopaedic applications; Zreiqat H; DVC Research/Bridging Support Grant.
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine: The Next 20 years; Zreiqat H; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Scaffolds for bone tissue regeneration and use in orthopaedic applications; Fick J, Pivonka P, Weston R, Brehm O, Zreiqat H, Wu C, Johnson K; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Developing Novel Scaffolds for Osteochondral Defects and Orthopaedic Prosthetic Coatings for Bone Tissue Regeneration and Implant Ossointegration; Zreiqat H; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- Novel coatings for orthopaedic implants; Grau G, Little D, Zreiqat H, Dunstan C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Novel Scaffolds for repairing bone defects; Zreiqat H, Little D, Dunstan C; Australian Orthopaedic Association Research Foundation Ltd/Research Support.
- Developing better treatment and novel prosthetic implants for joint replacement damaged due to arthritis; Zreiqat H; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Research Support.
- Rotor-Gene 6000, 5-Plex HRM with desktop computer & Gene-Disc 100 Stater Kit; Halliday G, Yue D, Sharland A, Bishop A, Stocker R, Bao B, McLennan S, Matsumoto I, Hambly B, Rose B, Harbour C, Ho J, Lee C, Twigg S, Soon L, Richardson D, King N, Zreiqat H; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Micro-engineered biomaterials for improved orthopedic devices and scaffolds; Zreiqat H; University of Sydney/Bridging Support.
- Effect of incorporating strontium into the surface of titanium alloy on bone cell behaviour; Zreiqat H; Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE)/Research Grants.
- Histological testing of spinal implants � St. George Hospital; Zreiqat H, Diwan A; BLO University of New South Wales (Through Ortopaedic research Centre)/BLO Project.
- Mechanisms of bone formation at the device / tissue interface; Zreiqat H, Haynes D; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Histological services on retrieved femoral heads; Zreiqat H, Gillies M; Worley Parsons Services Pty Ltd/BLO Project.
- Molecular Mechanisms Controlling The Maintenance And Differentiation Of Skeletal Tissue/Device Interface For Biomedical Engineering Applications; Zreiqat H; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Career Development Fellowships.
- Improving orthopaedic/dental devices by surface chemical modification; Zreiqat H, Swain M; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Mechanism of action of Zoledronnic acid in inflammatory arthritis; Zreiqat H, Binder W; Royal Australasian College of Physicians/Barbara Cameron ARA Fellowship.
A Tissue Regneration Approach to Bone and Cartilage Repair (Springer, 2015)