Professor Joe Dong
Head of School
School of Electrical & Information Engineering
Director, Clean Intelligent Energy Networks Research Group
Director, Sydney Energy Internet Research Institute
Academic Director, Tsinghua-Sydney Energy Networks Research Alliance
J03 - Electrical Engineering Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 2335|
Clean intelligent energy networks
School of Electrical & Information Engineering
Future Grid Cluster
Professor Z.Y. (Joe) Dong is Head of School of Electrical and Information Engineering, the University of Sydney, and a contractor with Ausgrid and EPRI, USA. He is now a member of the ARC College of Experts. Prior to joining the University of Sydney in 2013, he was Ausgrid Chair and Director of Ausgrid Centre of Excellence for Intelligent Electricity Networks (CIEN) at the University of Newcastle, Australia. He has also worked for Hong Kong Polytechnic University and as system planning manager with Transend Networks, Australia. Professor Dong's research interest includes power system planning and stability, smart grid, load modeling, renewable energy, electricity market, and computational methods. He is an editor of IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SMART GRID, IEEE PES LETTERS, IET RENEWABLE POWER GENERATION, and Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy. He is an international Advisor for the lead Chinese journal of Automation of Electric Power Systems. He also serves as guest editor for International Journal of Systems Science.
Professor Dong has been a contractor with EPRI, USA since 2001. He has been the principle investigator for over 10 EPRI projects, 12 ARC grants, 4 grants under HK RGC & ITF scheme, and partner investigator of 2 theme based projects in Hong Kong. He has many industrial R&D and consulting projects in power system planning, stability, smart grid, electricity market analysis and load modeling areas. He developed the load models for Western Power Corporation's daily usage in operations and planning of Western Australia's transmission network. He leads the gas and electricity network co-planning for the $12.6m CSIRO Future Grid project. He also worked with government on smart grid cyber security. He is a member of IEEE taskforce on power system cascading failure, and a chapter coordinator for CIGRE work group on load modeling. He is the Deputy Chair for Smart Grid Australia (SGA) study group and leads its research domain on cyber physical systems, including representing SGA at the International Federation of Smart Grid. He established a team of 28 at Ausgrid Centre for Intelligent Electricity Networks to provide R&D support for the $100m Smart Grid, Smart City demonstration project.
Professor Dong obtained a Ph.D. from the University of Sydney in 1999. He has published over 460 technical papers/books/book chapters (half are journal papers), and received over $12 million in research and industrial grants. Professor Dong has supervised or co-supervised over 40 PhD students, many who now work in industry and research/academia in Australia, Europe, Asia and America.
董朝陽教授於1999年在澳大利亞悉尼大學獲得博士學位，目前是悉尼大學電氣與信息工程學院的院長，並兼任工程與信息學部清潔與職能網絡研究所所長，清華大學-悉尼大學能源網絡研究聯盟 悉尼大學一方的學術主任。來悉尼大學工作之前 董教授是Newcastle大學智能電網研究中心主任及Ausgrid講座教授，負責給聯邦政府1億澳元（及Ausgrid公司的5億澳元配套資金）的"智能電網，智能城市"示範項目的研發支持。目前他主持澳洲聯邦科學與技術機構（CSIRO）的電網氣網聯合規劃項目。他曾在香港理工大學任教，並在澳大利亞塔斯馬尼亞省電網公司擔任（輸電）系統規劃經理。董朝陽教授長年致力於電力系統安全/穩定性、電力系統規劃，電力市場，智能電網等領域的研究與工程實踐。他在電力系統穩定性分析及規劃，發電廠投資，電網公司擴張策略、排污權交易市場、數據挖掘、計算智能等領域均做出了重要貢獻。他在IEEE Proceedings, IEEE Trans on Power Systems, IEEE Trans on Circuits and Systems, IEEE Trans on Energy Conversion, IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution 等國際期刊上發表論文150多篇。董朝陽是澳大利亞國家科研基金會(ARC)的專家委員會委員(College of Experts)，目前擔任IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, IEEE PES Letters, 和 IET Renewable Power Generation 的編委，並先後擔任 International Journal of Systems Science等國際期刊的客座主編，以及多個重要國際會議的主席與程序委員會委員。他是《電力系統自動化》雜誌的國際顧問。他先後主持了澳大利亞國家科研基金，澳大利亞聯邦科學與工業研究組織基金(CSIRO)，香港政府科研基金等20餘個重要科研項目。他與美國電力科學研究院(EPRI)，澳大利亞能源市場監管委員會(AEMO)，澳大利亞各主要電網公司以及香港，澳門和中國大陸的電網公司有研發項目及合作。他是山東大學，廈門大學，華北電力大學等大學的客座教授。
Electricity is critical to our everyday life. Without it, modern society would not be possible. Professor Dong's research aims to enhance the reliability and economic efficiency of our electricity supply networks, allowing them to reliably supply quality electricity in a more cost-effective manner.
"The operation of our society depends on a stable, quality electricity supply. The challenge today is that the industry is shifting towards more non-network solutions such as distributed renewable generation, energy storage and smart grid technologies. This gives rise to both challenges and opportunities for the industry and for my research.
"My research investigates ways of increasing power system stability, as well as alternative ways of enhancing the capabilities of power networks. The aim is to enable networks to supply more electricity - in a stable and reliable manner - without requiring as much investment as conventional approaches do.
"Ultimately this will enable us to meet customer demand, while slowing the price increase in household power bills. It will also allow us to maximise the benefits of renewable energy generation with minimal impact on network service providers' operations.
"I work closely with industry on most areas of my research. This ensures that I have a thorough understanding of industry needs and trends, and that the value of my research can be clearly visualised and supported by industry.
"Electricity is a public utility by nature, and I gain a sense of achievement through working closely with the electricity industry on research and development, as well as through educating young engineering students in power engineering.
"I've been working in power engineering since 1999, and I took on my current role in 2013.
"The University of Sydney is a great university - the best in Australia - with a top reputation with industry as well as with the general public. There are so many capable and renowned professors and young researchers here."
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|The application of Big Data analytics for an optimisation of grid planning and operation with the integration of distributed energy resources||Lia APRILIA|
|Planning and Operating Smart Grid Considering Large scale Renewable Energy Sources Integration||Estelle HUANG|
|Power System Stability, Optimisation and Control of Future Energy Networks||Augustine KANG|
|New Hybrid Criterion Application in Macro Complicated Power System||Junwei LIU|
|Virtual Intelligent Electronic Device (IED) for Power System Protection||Usman MAHMOOD|
|Collaborative planning of the large scale EVs in the power grid.||Shu WANG|
|Electricity Retailing Decision Making Based on Data Mining Techniques||Jiajia YANG|
|Microwave Photonic Signal Processing and Sensing||Wenjian YANG|
The University of Sydney is organising the IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, (IEEE SmartGridComm) 06-09 Nov 2016 at Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour, Sydney, Australia. Find out more at http://sgc2016.ieee-smartgridcomm.org about submissions of technical papers, special sessions and patronage opportunities.
- ZY Dong, JH Zhao and D J Hill, "Numerical Simulation for Stochastic Transient Stability Assessment", IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol. 27, Issue 4, Nov 2012, pp. 1741-1749
- Y Xu, ZY Dong, K Meng, et al , "A Hybrid Method for Transient Stability Constrained Optimal Power Flow Computation", IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol 27, Issue4, Nov 2012, pp. 1769-1777
- J Huang, Y Xue, ZY Dong and K P Wong, "An Efficient Probabilistic Assessment Method for Electricity Market Risk Management", IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol. 27, Issue 3, Aug 2012, pp. 1485-1493
- Y Xu, ZY Dong, JH Zhao, et al , "A Reliable Intelligent System for Real-Time Dynamic Security Assessment of Power Systems", IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol. 27, Issue 3, Aug 2012, pp. 1253-1263
- Y Xu, ZY Dong, L Guang, et al, "Preventive Dynamic Security Control of Power Systems Based On Pattern Discovery Technique", IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol. 27, Issue 3, Aug 2012, pp. 1236-1244
- F Yao, ZY Dong, K Meng, et al, "Quantum-Inspired Particle Swarm Optimization for Power System Operations Considering Wind Power Uncertainty and Carbon Tax in Australia", IEEE Trans on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 8, Issue 4, Nov 2012, pp. 880-888
- ZY Dong, Yan Xu, Pei Zhang, Kit Po Wong, "Real-Time Stability Assessment of Electric Power System with Intelligent Systems," IEEE Intelligent Systems, 09 May 2011. IEEE computer Society Digital Library. IEEE Computer Society, http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MIS.2011.41
- S Taggart, G James, ZY Dong and C. Russell, "The Future of Renewables Lined by a Transnational Asian Grid", Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 2, Feb 2012, pp. 348 - 359
- ZY Dong, X Li and S Wang, as Guest Editors, Special Issue of Data Mining and Applications, International Journal of Systems Science, UK, Taylor & Francis. 12(3), July 2006
- ZY Dong and P Zhang, Emerging Techniques for Power System Analysis, Springer, 2009, ISBN 978-642-04281-2
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Future Generation and Grid Planning
- Demand-side Power Network Control
- Graph-based Methods in Power Networks Analysis, Optimisation and Control
- Modelling and Stability of Power Networks with Renewable Generation
- Stochastic power system security assessment and planning
- Modelling and security assessment of intelligent electricity networks as cyber-physical systems
- Agent based data mining for power system security and vulnerability assessment
- Cyber-Physical Security Assessment and Defence of Smart Grid
- Energy Market Risk Management and Planning
- Planning and Operating Smart Grid Considering Large-scale Renewable Energy Sources Integration
- Power system load modelling in a smart grid environment
- Australia and Japan's Energy Future; Dong Z, Nishi H; Australia-Japan Foundation/Grant Program.
- Smart Grid Testing Facility; Dong Z, Hill D, Lu D, Verbic G, Ma J; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Securing power system operations in a smart-grid environment through wide-area robust stability assessment and control; Xu Y, Dong Z; DVC Research/Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Scheme.
- Distributed control for wide-area demand response; Dong Z, Verbic G; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Robust electricity networks accommodating high levels of renewables; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Future Grid - Power and Energy Systems Modelling & Security; Vassallo A, Hill D, Dong Z; Energy Transformed Flagship/Research Support.
- Power System Reactive Power Prediction and Sensitivity Analysis (PII); Dong Z; Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)/Research Support.
- Yallourn Generator Modelling Study; Dong Z; Aurecon Group/Project Support.
- ERM Battery Trial Management and Study; Dong Z; Ausgrid/Research Grant.
- Generator Excitor Modelling Study; Dong Z; Aurecon Group/Project Support.
- Security Assessment for Smart Grids Involving Cyber-Physical; Dong Z; Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC)/General Research Fund (GRF).
- Generator Grid Connection Compliance Studies; Dong Z; Aurecon Group/Project Support.
- Electricity Grid Instability Briefing Paper for ACA; Dong Z; Australian Coal Research Limited./Research Grant.
- API Course Development Grant; Dong Z; The Australian Power Institute Limited/Research Support.
- Eraring Gas Turbine Connection Study; Dong Z; Ausgrid/Research Grant.
- STATCOM Study; Dong Z; Ausgrid/Research Grant.
- Load Modelling Training/Workshop x 2; Dong Z; The Australian Energy Market Operator Limited (AEMO)/Research Support.
- Increased power transfer capacity through SVC control; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- CSIRO Future Grid Flagship Grant; Dong Z; CSIRO/Research Grants.
- Centre of Intelligent Electricity Networks; Dong Z; Centre for Intelligent Electricity Networks/Research Support.
- Network Vulnerability Assessment and Risk Management Strategy for a Smart Grid; Dong Z; Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet/Research Support.
- Power system data analysis and self-healing; Dong Z; State Grid Timely Power Group Company/Research Support.
- An investigation of the impacts of increased power supply to the national grid by wind generators on the Australian electricity industry; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Special Grant for Chair for Intelligent Electricity Network; Dong Z; Centre for Intelligent Electricity Networks/Research Support.
- Visiting Professorship Grant, State Key Laboratory of Power Transmission Equipment & System Security and New Technology; Dong Z; College of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing/Research Support.
- Cyber Physical System and Networked Control based Electric Vehicle Optimal Dispatch and Control; Dong Z; National Natural Science Foundation of China/Research Grant.
- Power system planning incorporating renewable resources in a smart grid environment (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong General Research Fund (GRF)/PhD Felowship.
- Dispatching and planning options for electric vehicles in Shenzhen; Dong Z; Shenzhen Government/Research Support.
- Advanced Control and Protection Strategy of Wind Turbines Under Power System Fault Conditions (CO-I); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- SmartGrids and further integration of distributed energy resources (CO-I); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Integration of Wind Power Generation into a Power System with Optimal Dispatching of Electrical Vehicles; Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Electricity market risk management and planning (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Power system security and vulnerability assessment under smart grid initiative (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC)/General Research Fund (GRF).
- Power system security assessment with measurement data and data mining methods; Dong Z; SiChuan Power Research Institute, State Grid/Research Support.
- Internet of things and its application in important domains; Dong Z; Chinese Academy of Engineering/Research Support.
- Topological analysis of power system security and cascading failure (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Analysis on CEM MV Distribution Loss; Dong Z; Companhia de Electricidade de Macau (CEM)/Research Support.
- Power system security and vulnerability assessment in a smart grid environment (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Power system reactive power prediction and sensitivity analysis (PI); Dong Z; Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)/Research Support.
- Development of an intelligent distribution network laboratory for teaching in the strategic area of sustainable energy supply at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Development fuel cell charging circuit for electric vehicles; Dong Z; Ice-City Co Ltd., China/Research Support.
- Operating Smart Grid under risks - adressing challenges and uncertainties (PI); Dong Z; Danish Agency of Science and Technology/Research Support.
- Dynamic power system load modelling studies; Dong Z; Western Power Corporation/Research Support.
- Wind power impact on system stability and dispatch studies; Dong Z; Hongkong Electric Company/Research Support.
- Techniques for Handling Uncertainty Factors in Power System Reliability Assessment and Control; Dong Z; Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)/Research Support.
- Hunan Province Key Scientific Research Speciality Project: The third party logistics coordinated service system research and demonstration; Dong Z; Hunan Provincial Government, China/Research Support.
- Power transmission system planning (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Wind power prediction for wind power production in Hong Kong; Dong Z; Innovation & Technology Fund Hong Kong Government/Research Support.
- Data mining methods for power system security assessment (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Polytechnic University/Research Support.
- Wind modelling and prediction for wind power generation in Hong Kong (PI); Dong Z; Hong Kong Government/Competitive Grant.
- Optimum location of FACTS devices with advanced control scheme for improving the security of complex power grid; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Distributed Generation Evaluation Facility and Power Control; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Control methodologies of distributed generation for enhanced network stability and control; Dong Z; Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation/Research Support.
- Power system composite load modelling; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage International: Linkage International Awards (LX).
- Power System Planning in a Market Environment; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Research Support.
- Investigation of demand diversity and appropriate new generation entry into electricity market simulation tools; Dong Z; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Research Support.
Improvements on Data Security Algorithms for Streaming Multimedia (LAP LAMBERT Acdemic Publishing, 2012)
Intelligent Diagnosis and Prognosis of Industrial Networked Systems (CRC Press, 2011)
Emerging Techniques in Power System Analysis (Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010)
Emerging Techniques in Power System Analysis (Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010)
Computational Intelligence in Power Systems (Research Signpost, 2009)