Associate Professor Simon Atkinson
PhD, MPhil, BSc (Cantab), Postdoc (CUED)
Associate Professor | Doctor | Captain RANR
Complex Civil Systems Research Group and Project Management
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies
J05 - J05 Civil Engineering Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 5216|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 8642|
Complex Civil Systems
Associate Professor, Doctor, Captain Simon Reay Atkinson RANR is Director of the Masters of Project Leadership program with the Complex Civil Systems Research Group and Project Management Programme. A Captain in the RAN Reserves, a Fellow of the IET, he held senior positions as UK Chief of Defence Staff Liaison Officer to the Australian Department of Defence, Capability Development Group; Senior Systems Adviser to UK MoD during the Strategic Defence and Security Review; Cambridge University, Hudson Naval PhD Research Fellow; co-Lead General Petraeus' Command and Control and Knowledge Management Cell, Joint Strategic Assessment Team; Senior Research Fellow / Asymmetrics Director, Advanced Research Assessment Group, UK Defence Academy.
Associate Professor Simon Reay Atkinson's research into complex systems has applications as diverse as improving the delivery of humanitarian relief and ensuring that the current global recession does not follow the trajectory of the Great Depression.
"My research involves trying to understand the structures, networks, organisations and institutions of our society at systems level, and identifying and synthesising sustainable systems-level solutions to the problems of our time.
"The applications of this work range from understanding healthcare structures at systems level in order to enhance the delivery of health care in Indigenous communities and the care of injured defence personnel in the field, to designing synthetic ecologies and improving the stability of financial systems, to improving the capture, management and exchange of knowledge and information both within and among organisations.
"With respect to organisational performance, I believe that many of the tools and techniques used over the past 25 years have been misapplied. We need to conceptualise organisations and institutions as coherent, integrated systems and develop new network tools for aiding management.
"Many of the institutions of the 20th century failed during the global financial crisis, and continue to fail. We are currently at a moment of great change, and I believe it's necessary for us to reflect, adapt, design and engineer again - and put humanity back in the loop.
"I am particularly passionate about avoiding the current global recession ending in the way that the Great Depression of the 1930s did. I'm also passionate about providing a viable and sustainable future, particularly for the current 'recession generation' who, in northern Europe, face such immense challenges. In Australia, we have an opportunity to empirically rethink and reframe our institutions and the concepts of a liberal democracy for the 21st century.
"I've been working in this field for more than 12 years. Twelve months ago I joined the University of Sydney, which is quickly gaining recognition as a hub for complex systems research, so this is an exciting and vibrant time to be here."
Teaching and supervision
PMGT5860 - Project Leadership Thesis A
PMGT5861 - Project Leadership Thesis B
PMGT5891 - Project Risk Management
ENGG3853 - Project Risk Management: Tools & Techniques
PMGT5875 - Project Innovation Management
- Dynamic Social Networks (DSNs) and Adaptive Programme Management (APM)
- Application, scaling and composing of Complex Adaptive Systems
- System and Weak Signal Identification in Influence and Control DSNs
- Socio-Info-Techno / Info-Techno-Socio (Cyber-) Systems Design and Management of Knowledge
- Global / Macro and Local / Micro level Political Sûreté Economic Systems Modelling
- Reflect, Adapt, Design and Engineer (RADER) Dynamic System Modelling and Application
- Chartered Engineer
- Fellow of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (previously IEE)
- European Engineer (Eur Ing, FEANI)
- Reay Atkinson S, S., Feczak, A., Goodger, N.H.M., Caldwell & L. Hossain. (2012b) Cyber-internet: a potential eco-system for innovation and adaptation. European Alliance for Innovation: Internet as Innovation Eco-System Summit and Exhibition 2012, 4-6 Oct. Riva del Garda: Italy: EAI.
- Reay Atkinson S, S., Tavakoli Tabaa, A., Goodger, N.H.M., Caldwell, & L., Hossain. (2013a) Bolshevik Cells as Resilient and Subverting Learning Organizations Submitted to the Learning Organization Emerald Publishing (unpublished).
- Tavakolitabaezavareh S, K.S., Chung., S., Reay Atkinson, M.W., Pietrzyk, & S., Lewis. (2013) A Systems Life-Cycle Approach to Managing the Radiology Profession - an Australian Perspective. (Unpublished)
- Reay Atkinson, S., Maier, A., Caldwell, N.H.M., and Clarkson, P.J. (2011) Collaborative Trust Networks in Engineering Design Adaptation, ICED 2011, Technical University of Denmark.
- Reay Atkinson, S., Hassall, I., Caldwell, N.H.M.C., Romilly, M., and Golding, R. Versatile modular systems (VMS) designs for a versatile modular fleet (VMF), EAWWIV Conference, Greenwich (2011).
- Urwin, E.N., Gunton, D.J, Reay Atkinson, S., Daw, A.J., and Henshaw, M.J.deC., (2011) Through-Life NEC Scenario Development, IEEE Systems Journal, Vol.5 No.3, September.
- Reay Atkinson, S. (2010). Returning Science to the Social, Shrivenham Paper, UK Defence Academy.
- Reay Atkinson, S. (2009); Cyber-: Envisaging New Frontiers of Possibility, unpublished, ARAG Occasional, UK Defence Academy.
- Book: ‘The Agile Organisation’, Reay Atkinson and Moffat, CCRP (2005)
- Hossain L, S., Reay Atkinson, M., D'Eredita, & Rolf.T., Wigand. (2013) Towards a Mech-Organic Perspective for Knowledge Sharing Networks in Organizations. UK Academy for Information Systems. Worcester College University of Oxford, 8-20th March 2013.
- Reay Atkinson S, S., Tavakolitabaezavareh, D., Walker, L., Liu, & L., Hossain. (2013b) Securing the bolts before the horse has bolted: A new perspective on Managing Collaborative Assurance. The IEEE 2013 Conference on Security Management, Aug. Las Vegas.
- Reay Atkinson S, S.,Tavakoli Taba, A.M.C, Goodger, N.H.M., Caldwell & L., Hossain. (2013c) The Need for Synthetic Standards in Managing Cyber Relationships. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. The Third International Conference on Social Eco-Informatics (SOTICS 2013), Nov 18-20, Lisbon: International Academy, Research and Industry Association (IARIA).
- Reay Atkinson S, S.,Tavakolitabaezavareh, M., Harré, R.T., Wigand, & L. Hossain. (2013d) Towards a new Social Philosophy of the Physical Sciences. Third International Conference on Business Sustainability 2013: Management, Technology and Learning for Individuals, Organisations and Society in Turbulent Environments, Nov 20-22, 2013, Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal.