Practical experience is mandatory for students in the Bachelor of Engineering and Master of Professional Engineering courses.
You will not be eligible to graduate until you have met the requirements of ENGG4000 Practical Experience or ENGG5217 Practical Experience:
- completed an approved 12 week practical experience placement or equivalent components (see below)
- submitted and passed a written report(s) on your experience
- students who successfully complete a MIPPS program as part of their Engineering degree enrolment are exempt from ENGG4000 Practical Experience and ENGG5217 Practical Experience.
Completion of the practical experience unit of study is based on the accumulation of 12 points.
Download and read the ENGG4000/ENGG5217 Practical Experience Information Pack
Practical Experience Information and Forms
- Finding and completing practical experience...
- Practical Experience Form - Hand in to the Faculty Office BEFORE you commence practical experience.
- Site Induction and Safety Procedures Form - Hand in with written report.
- Practical Experience Certificate - Hand in with written report.
12 weeks of Practical Experience = 12 points
The equivalent of 12 full time weeks of approved practical work experience and a written report will net you the full 12 points.
4 weeks of Practical Experience = 6 points
A minimum of 4 weeks of approved practical experience and a written report will earn you 6 points. Additional weeks earn points as follows: 7 weeks = 7 points, 8 weeks = 8 points, 9 weeks = 9 points, 10 weeks = 10 points, 11 weeks = 11 points, 12 weeks = 12 points.
PLUS any of the following to equal 12 points...
Attendance at a Professional Development event = 2 points
Attendance or participation at an approved conference, seminar, workshop or professional development event and a written report will earn 2 points each with a maximum of 3 points.
Industry based courses within degree studies = 4 points
Approved units of study (with a passing grade) and a written report earn 4 points each with a maximum of 6 points.
Approved units of study:
- AERO3465 Aerospace Technology 2
- CHNG 4802 Chemical Engineering Design A
- CHNG 4806 Chemical Engineering Design B
Site Visits = 2 points
Approved site visits will earn two points each with a maximum of 3 points.
Need more information or advice?