Our key research focuses on the following areas.
Servicing Science and the Community
- Using precision robotics, with high accuracy and multi-modality sensors and collecting storing and accessing data to drive decision making.
- Using data analytics for crop and animal monitoring, change detection, optimised solutions based on science models.
This information is highly beneficial for plant and animal science and the general community (councils, government agencies, industry partners).
- Crop and Animal Knowledge: multi-dimensional state (spatial, temporal, health, quality etc)
- Farm Asset Optimisation: understanding the best use of current assets, including optimal tasks and positioning/trajectory to meet the current farm objectives.
- Dynamic Farm Planning which looks at decision support tools that provide the grower with a collection of possible future states and recommended actions given current knowledge, environment uncertainty and farm asset status.
- Novel mechatronic systems for growing plants indoors and on building facades, whilst providing adaptive lighting and cooling structures.
- Developing algorithms that can determine state of the crop and the optimal next action to increase productivity whilst minimising waste.
- Novel mechatronic solutions (micro/nano) for reducing pesticide and fungicide use.
- Harvesting systems, including mechatronic mechanisms for harvesting crops.
Optimising Food Chains
- Agri-Farm knowledge, including data fusion and statistical modeling techniques that link farm knowledge to logistics and the packing and processing facility.
- Agri-Farm optimisation techniques that determine when and what to harvest and transport to meet the upper end of the supply chain objectives.
Small Farmers and STEM
- Developing the farming communities - using digital and automation technologies to support small supply chains, minimise environmental influence, particularly in disadvantages communities nationally and internationally.
- Supporting the teaching of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects in schools - providing educational workshops and lectures in regional schools that encourage students to continue to study these subjects, with a focus on technology agri-food activities.